Let's talk truck caps.........

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So anyone have good advice on brands of truck caps?

For a variety of reasons, I think I'm going to need one before this summer. The idea of paying this much $$$$ makes my *** pucker because I'm cheap, but I'm going to keep this truck forever so I should at least get my money out of it. I don't need the most expensive brand out there just because, if there is something comparable out there for less money I'm ok with not having the cool brand. With that said if there is a real reason a more expensive brand is great I'm not opposed to paying a bit more.

What are the differences between the higher end brands and some of the lower priced options? Any upgrade options that you think are necessary? I see a lot have carpeted interiors, why is this important?

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most will make you pucker unless you go with some metal/aluminum generic cap. Personally I would either have to get a LEER or A.R.E.

3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my LEER, it could be yours if I get rid of the truck soon;)

4. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Truth is caps that last a long time don't leak and fit 100% correctly are hard to come by without spending some coin on a good name...used may be a good option for you to look into if you can find one....the carpet is mainly so stuff does not slide around and it protects the bed as well...i use a rubber mat in mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you need a locking one for secure storage or just something to cover the bed? I have an Extang tonneau that's been on my truck for at least 5 years now and it hasn't cracked, ripped, or leaked at all. It fits perfectly snug on my Dodge RAM Big Horn. It's cheaper than a cap and I would gladly buy another one if I had to but it certainly depends on the purpose you are trying to fulfill.

6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a well-timed thread because I'm been tossing the idea around as well. You are right, the prices are pretty steep. I've been doing research and the two mentioned above (leer and ARE) seem to be the best. I have a tri-fold tonneau cover that has been great so far but I want something with more security for my fishing poles and hunting gear during the season.

My only issue besides price is that with my tonneau I can throw my kayak in the back strap it down and go within 10 mins to duck hunt or fish. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get a kayak into the back with the cap on it and be able to secure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You never listen to me do you, Miller? Just get a LEER and be done with it. ARE's are nice, but they're even more expensive and IMO not worth the extra cash. If you go with a lower end brand like a Centurion you can save a few bucks but the fit and finish aren't quite as nice. There's usually some flaws in the fiberglass that you can see through the paint, and they do have leaking issues from time to time. They also use lesser hardware on the glass hinges and latches. My bro-in-law has one on his F150 and it's held up decent, but he wishes he spent the couple bucks extra for the LEER.

Don't be a sissy. You're a baller now.

[​IMG]

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JZ - What model is yours? I know it's a Leer, but what model? I wish Raceway would sell that truck of his so I could snatch his up cheap. :tu:

Can anyone tell me why having the inside of the cap carpeted is important?

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is the 100XL. You can save a few dollars getting a 100 XR but I didn't like the frame around the side glass. The XL has the frameless glass. Raceway's truck is an 04 or 05 I believe, so it won't fit yours even if he did sell it.

The carpet is nice so you don't get fiberglass slivers in your hands when put putting stuff in or out of the truck. It's probably not needed if you're looking to save a few bucks.

PS - there's a $75 off coupon on the Leer website you can download. Do it. :tu:

10. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have had a A.R.E. on my tacoma for a few years now. i love it. its well made, looks nice, and does what it is suppose to do.

my tacoma is not my primary hunting truck being only 2x4. i use it daily to throw stuff back there and have no worries about it. i did opt for the mid rise model to give me a little extra height and clearance when loading stuff up and it makes a huge difference IMO. i also opted to get dual T-handles and a front glass that hinges so i can access the back window in the cab, and that is also nice.

it was expensive, but i plan on keeping this truck a long time so price was justified. it has been great for huting trips to keep stuff dry and secure when i dont need 4x4 and for trips not hunting related. if it was my only truck im not sure if i would opt for the camper shell as i like loading atv in truck instead of taking the trailer.

to keep stuff at the back within arms reach of opening the glass, i used one of the cheap wire shelfs u put in a garage and cut to fit and then used carinbiners to keep it in place at the start of the wheelwell.

11. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Century on my F-150 and it still looks brand new! It was put on the truck in 04'! I would buy another one tomorrow!

12. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a LEER and pay for the option that allows you to tie the lock into the key FOB for your vehicle....No key needed to unlock then. Also get the tilt in front window for easier cleaning. Both those options are WELL worth it to me.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I only use the tilt down window once or twice a year, but when I do it's certainly worth the money.

I don't think they had the key fob option when I got mine, which I would LOVE to have now. Wonder if they can add it on...

14. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would think they could add it on. It has a mechanism that is attached on the opposite side of the handle and involves running some wiring to your fuse panel area. If you do it keep the actual lock lubricated in case you need to use the key someday. Well worth it.

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man do I know your dilemma... I'm heading out west in my Tacoma for 3 months in August and living out of my truck hunting for the first 7 weeks. No way I fit all the gear needed in a Tacoma without one. I about puked when I saw the price tags but finally bit the bullet back in February when they had a lot of coupon combos floating around. Got a Leer 100 XL coming in. $75 off coupon, free headliner coupon, and I forget it was either $50 or $100 off the Thule roof rack system.

If you ever want a roof rack for kayaks or extra cargo storage at any point down the road, order it now because the roof comes reinforced from the factory... Can't have it retrofitted on a normal cap later.

Mine still hasn't come in but should in next week or two. Put $1k down and still owe another $800 and change after taxes even with all the dang coupons!

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I paid $50.00 for my A.R.E. cap. Paint doesn't match...... but $50.00!

I put mine on and take it off pretty often. You guys leave yours on all the time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No one likes you....

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What??!! Well there goes my Stuart Smalley moment. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a cap on my truck since 2008 and never taken it off once.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Your wallet definitely hurts at first but in time you'll come to love it.

It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive but eventually it grows to be a part of you.