Just Throw Away The Key ... Spook Spann Arrested Yet Again

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by gutone4me, Feb 23, 2014.

1. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't follow T.V. hunters so I have no idea who this guy is. But I found it strange that HIS house was raided and now there is a drug warrant out for his 20 yr. Old daughter. Seems to me this guy and his family have pissed off the local law enforcement.

3. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of him. I don't watch hunting shows much anymore though.

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He done!

5. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He is the anti-hunter's poster boy. Consistently giving them fuel for their fire.

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The worst kind of tool. Hides behind religion and then does crap like this.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I seriously must live under a hunting entertainment rock. I have no idea who he is. Does seem odd with the raiding and scale of law enforcement participation, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By no means am I sticking up for the guy, but did they really say why his house was raided? Baiting turkeys seems a bit trivial to be raiding someone's house. I agree that he has pissed in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

He's a tool for sure. Even before he got in trouble the first time he was a tool. Hopefully he's done for good now.

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was wondering when read this. Doesn't really say why they went in first place. The turkey thing was around last spring. Either way doesn't really matter hopefully he's done and goes away.

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's all still over that record buck he shot while trespassing in Kansas. That was his claim to fame and he has had the LEO's crosshairs on his back since.

That said he is a major tool in the way he conducts himself (poacher or not).

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How hard is it to just hunt legally and have fun?

12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently pretty dang hard for him....lol.

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He should be put away for good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    dunno the guy. if he's guilty, then he should be given his due. if he's innocent, he should change his behavior so that he's beyond reproach.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still confused on why they raided the guy's house almost a year after the turkey baiting charges? It doesn't really say why they were there other than the "tampering with evidence" mention. I'm sure the baggie of weed and pipe in his daughter's room wasn't why they were there, but the fine folks at the media felt the need to mention it just to make the story sound better.

For those not in the know, Spook killed a monster 200"+ on film in Kansas a few years back. It was on the cover of the Realtree Monster Bucks DVD if memory serves. After he shot the buck he said something to the effect of "We just set the world on fire!", which then became his moniker.

A year or two after this he decided to start his own TV show. As I've said before, everyone with a few dollars who has killed some big deer thinks they're a hunting celebrity. *yawn*

At some point in time LEO got wind that he was hunting on a landowner tag but actually killed the buck on a lease that adjoined land he owned. Since the deer was "technically" killed illegally, transporting it over state lines violated the Lacey Act which is what got the feds involved. Spook claimed he was unaware that he wasn't allowed to hunt leased land on that tag, citing that the law states landowner tags are valid for property you lease however you must live there as your full time residence. Personally, I think very well could have been an honest mistake and they wanted to make an example of him. Eventually he pled out to some 10K fines, a misdemeanor charge and 6 months of no hunting anywhere in the US.

Now you would think that would have been the end of if it. However that spring one of his cameramen ratted him out for baiting turkeys while guiding a bunch of pro sports players including Jake Locker among others. He was also charged with violation of his 6 month no hunting probation since technically in the state he was in (forget if it was KY or TN) it's considered hunting even if you're just guiding other people. He was never filmed with a gun or bow in his hand, he was simply calling for other people. However given the legal definition of "hunting" he was in the wrong. Another possible oversight? Perhaps, but the baiting charge certainly was the result of blatant disregard for the law and for common sense in general.

Now this all happened almost a year ago. Why the federal government is raiding the guy's house and arresting pretty much his entire family is beyond me.

16. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    definitely makes you raise an eyebrow.

one thing i've learned is that the initial reports are rarely the most accurate.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If he is wanted on hunting violations which would in turn violate the terms of his prior hunting game law conviction then I can see the following happening: 1) They raid the house looking for elements of the crime including cell phones, laptop computers, etc. 2) If they find the wife had knowledge of the current violation which would also violate him on his prior conviction and she tried to destroy evidence, then that is a charge of obstruction at the very least. 3) While performing a search warrant they observe marijuana and a bong in plain view, they have to take action.

I don't think it sounds too complicated.

18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From what I remember the camera man said it was an on going problem with him breaking the law. Who knows what else they are looking for or if they received another tip. Since he violated the Lacy act they can probably check on him when ever they want.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spook Nation!!!!

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least his intro song/rap was good....wait... :whip: