Who has been (or is currently) debt free (minus mortgage)?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 17, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious. If you're comfortable sharing, let us know your age, how long you have been debt free. If you currently are not, and have been, feel free to share that as well. Anyone close to it (again, minus your mortgage)?

I'm curious as to what point everyone nears this point or experiences this in their lives.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I are in alot of debt from student loans. We both graduated last year and it's overwhelming. We are going to be sitting down real soon to come up with a plan to get the stupid loans paid off asap. I hope and pray within the next 5 years to have both of our loans paid off and only have our house loan. I'm 23 so my goal is to be 28 and out of debt.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

3. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I currently am. But, the trucks getting a bit seasoned, so I have a feeling I wont be much longer. Also, Im only 25 with no kids and not married, so that helps lol.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 26 and hope to have all my student loan debts paid off by this time next year. I did not finish school though, as I was offered a job in the field I was interested in, so I took it. I have my bass boat loan which will also be getting paid off by then. I almost bought my first home this past summer, but decided to hold off and wait another year to have a little more flexibility.

5. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Age = Old
    Debt free since last September (minus mortgage)

Last time:
    Age = Less Old
    Debt free from September 2011 to 2012

6. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just have a mortgage and a modest sized student loan. Both are on very low interest rates. I'm 40.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am debt free and my wife soon will be. She owes less that $2,000 on her student loan. I am 45. I have always used cash only. (Thanks Granddad) It took a while, but she eventually caught on.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was debt free the first time around 28. Agressively paid my college loans off and rolled onto the 2 cars. Soon after bought the house with Mortgage. My wife had worked for the company that owned the duplex we lived in, she got a discount that helped in paying off the debt.

Bought a few cars since and took a few low rate loans that we generally paid off around 25-50% early. Been down to just the mortgage a couple times. Before early 40s.

The flipside, when I was ~43, right after replacing all the windows in the house, the whole house AC system died and a kid totaled a car, then another car the next year.

Presently have the mortgage, 1 car loan...that's it. Looking for a used car now, plan to pay cash. Hope to be done with the mortgage in 5-7 yrs. I know I'm going to have to re roof the place soon though...hoping we can pay the mtg off first.

No loans yet for the kids college, but I have 3 that may be in college next yr. 1 still waiting on an acceptance letter.

I'm 48.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 25 and am living with my girlfriends parents... (Sad, I know). No mortgage but have 20+k student loans and a car loan to pay. Throwing most of my checks at my extremely low interest loans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 25 and have about $6000 left in student loans (between me and the Mrs) and 2 car payments (got her Buick last year and just got my truck). But with going from hourly to salary, the loans should be paid off this time next year and have the truck paid off in the next two. By the time my youngest starts school we hope to only have the house. I'd be 30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

11. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Student loans is all. I'm 26 and once my twins are born there will be some hospital debt.

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im 25 married with 1 kid. I own one home and 2 cars a 05 dodge ram and 08 mazda. No debt and loving life. I get TA for college too so no loans either....

13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    24 and married with no kids....yet. Bought a home last year that we owe on plus about 3K in an auto and furniture loan.

14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been debt free 5+ years now and it's nice. I'm 44 and didn't really get caught up in spending money I didn't have. My wife is the same way and she's cheap too. The only bill I have is the mortgage and that should be gone by December and I will be totally free and clear hope to semi-retire by 50 or at least take the whole hunting season off.

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing except little credit card debt. Thats only because I'm too hard headed to just pay it off and instead just make minimum payments other than that nothing else. I'm 30 and didnt even really have or accumulate any debt until 25 but by the end of this year at leatest won't have any debt.

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 36 and I don't owe anything...well, I think I owe about $30 on the credit card, Had to get gas and didn't have the debit card. We had our house built in December 2002 on our 101 acres that my wifes grandma gave us. I also own 150 more in another county that was paid off last year. No cars payments either. Sending my 18yr. old daughter to college this Fall....so that might cost me a little.

17. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    House has been paid for since 1995. No credit card debt for years and years. No car loan at the moment. Probably update the wife's Ford Escape next year. We are pretty much debt free. I am 51. I will be able to retire when they throw me in a coffin.

Tim

18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, and I thought I was doing everything right. Impressive.

My wife and I are paying aggressively on her student loans and have been since she graduated 4 years ago. I won't disclose amounts, but let's just say it's the equivalent of paying on another house without the equity. We have our mortgage and 1 car payment (will be paid off in two years). Our goal is to be debt free, minus mortgage, by 31. However, I will certainly be going back into debt for our next house and land. You guys that own homes, cars, and land free and clear under 50 are impressive. Seriously.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Creditcard free since '07. Debt free since '08. We were 27 when we became debt free. That is no mortgage either.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are making me feel like crap lol....congrats to all of you that are debt free.