ATV and UTV - Give me real usable advice

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dubbya, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I'm going to be picking up a 4-wheeler pretty quick and also a UTV with a bed.

I'm pretty well set on a Honda wheeler, unless someone can produce some hard factual data to steer me differently :D.

As for the UTV, I'm looking at the Honda and Polaris as well. I will need torque most importantly, speed isn't crucial, quietness would be nice. I really don't have a lot of experience with anything other than a Ranger. We may be looking at a 4 seater with a bed. This will be used mainly in the mountains hauling guys around and hauling elk out, not to hunt from.

So, what say ye?

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honda on the ATV.

I know almost nothing about UTVs other than I thought they were silly at first (but now I'm not sure about the silly part). Also, there sure are a lot of them in Utah. Go to KSL.com and look at the classifieds.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with a Honda.

As far as utv idk if it'd be a option or work for ya but I've got some buddies that have one the Kawasaki mule's. It can be setup as a four seater or you can flip the back seat down to make it s two seater and get another foot or two out of the bed. I think Honda makes some decent ones two.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a ton of experience with several different model Rangers. My best bud back home has had several models and currently has a 2010 (I think) 6wd one. It's a beast. If you want traction and the ability to haul and work it's great. It's not as nimble as the 4wd ones and has a much bigger turning radius but it goes anywhere. The other camp I belong to back home one if the guys has a 2013 model 900xp 4wd. It's got a ton of power and is much more nimble than the bigger 6wd. It does not get as good of traction though. Both of these buggies and the other several my bud Dan (jaws on here) has had previously were all used hard and none ever had a bit of trouble.

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Polaris guy myself, but if you're set on Honda, go for it. I have no factual data :lol:

But for UTVs, Polaris Rangers are awesome. My main hunting spot has 2 Rangers, a 550 and an 800. That new 800 is an animal! It doesn't have the acceleration of my Sportsman 800, but it's got a lot more *** to haul around at the same time. They use it hauling wood, herding cattle, anything and everything. The only time it has been in the shop was for regular preventative maintenance, and new tires.

6. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i think it will be very hard to find a quiet UTV all i have been around werent.

7. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The newer 800 UTV actually surprised me how quiet it was. The 500 sounds like a bunch of pots and pans falling, but the new ones are pretty quiet. Of course quiet is a relative term... :lol:

8. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny how Ford vs Chevy really carry over into every aspect of anything... My best friend used to work at a dealership... HATED Honda and Polaris... Honda being the worst.

My family has always owned Arctic Cats... we've had 6 different models... No problems out of any of them. If you have a dealer, I'd give them a look. It's been since 2008 since we bought a new one...I know a lot could've changed since then, but all of ours have been solid.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kawasaki mule UTV 4010 trans. Can be converted from a two seater with a big bed to a 4 seater with smaller bed quickly. 617cc liquid cooled engine that is very reliable. Only goes 25 mph (governed).

http://forums.bowhunting.com/water-cooler/30864-my-new-toy.html

[​IMG]

It's been a great machine for work and play. It's pulled the disc for food plots. Hauled tons of fire wood. Pulled trailers. Dragged down trees. Etc. It is also very quiet. More so than any atv.

I agree with honda for the atv's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a honda guy for years but I think nowadays they have been caught and maybe surpassed by some. I don't think I'll stick with them for my next atv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kawasaki Teryx, almost bought one before the end of the year but decided I needed a big spray rig instead and took priority over a new UTV. Things are freakin awesome and no worries about a 25mph limit. Bed is small but I was going to make a receiver hitch bed add-on to expand the bed capacity via the receiver hitch....sort of a secondary bed on a receiver hitch stand. May not be a problem anyway if all you need it for mostly is passengers.

12. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cant believe no one has mentioned Yamaha.

13. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the ATV, I would say Honda Foreman. UTV, for what you want it for I would say Yamaha Rhino. They have the option to lock both axles so you would be able to do game recovery almost anywhere.

14. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love their sport quads, but I don't know of any utility quads. UTV is a different story.

15. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience. For go with the Yamaha rhino. The stability and manuverability is great. Plus it had good power and can haul. Plus how you sit in it is a big plus. Low to the ground. The Polaris always had issues for us. They drive like a school bus. The awd was funky. And didn't like how they disengage to neutral when going down hill. Although the Polaris did have a larger bed if you want that.

16. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe overkill for you but the Bobcat Toolcat 5610 is an amazing machine. Does everything the rest of the UTVs do but has the ability to be a real workhorse in the off season. Get the forks and lift that elk right up.

17. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention that, it's my one gripe with Polaris that I have come across so far. It's not AS big of an issue with my ATV, but it gets old in a hurry in a UTV.

18. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Out west we have a ton of hills and that alone has almost caused me to wreck in the rain a few times.

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely didn't know that about disengaging to neutral, that would be bad, especially going down hill on something slick with an elk in the back. Thank you for sharing.

20. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have three honda bikes. Two 300 fourtrax (old goats) and a Rancher. They have all been great but are parked and need to be gone through.
    Polaris is worth a look.
    I ran into a guy in the field driving a two seater with a roll cage and bed on the back. It looked cool, made a new friend, and we hung out by camp for about a half hour or so. The only complaint he said he had with his ride was that it seemed hard to steer at times..not sure what kind it was.. if you are looking to pick up one of these .. I would look at the suspension and steering. Drive it around some and see if it would be tough to turn. Otherwise find the one with the most power and see how quiet it is .. or if you can modify it to be quieter than stock. His little buggy was loud. Cool dude though and better than walking.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014