Let's talk kids.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    So, the other thread had me thinking. I know there are some of you who don't have kids, and plenty of you who do. So, talk to me about it. Did you want them? If you don't have them, do you want them someday? For those without them, do you regret it? Why or why not?

Obviously some of this can get rather personal, so I don't expect people to share struggles or the inability to have children. Share if you wish. The timing of this question has a lot to do with where I'm at in life.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

2. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As you know, I have kids and it was the best decission my wife and I ever made.

My wife was very apprehensive with the first, mainly due to her poor childhood. But that feeling soon dicipated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have (2) daughters @ ages (12) & (14). I am (39). My wife & I have been married (16) years. My children are top priority & life would not be as full without them. My wife & daughters would be the first to tell you my frenchbritt is "almost" a daughter.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My door is open, anytime.. PM.

5. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when i first read that, i read it as... If you do have kids do you regret it?..... made me laugh a little.

no input for ya here, no kids for me yet.... but i do teach them everyday (7-12) and coach 13-16 yr olds so ive got my fill until i want my own

6. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Having had our first kid three months ago, and both me and wife were wanting since we met, I wouldn't change it for anything. Were hoping to add a second after some time if it works out too. He has had a huge impact on priorities and everything. Most things do revolve around him. I think everything depends on what directions people want their lives to go or what they want to do. For us I'm glad we are where we are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As you know, I had my first last April. Honestly, I could really have cared less if we had kids or not. The wife was the one pushing the issue. I said, "Let's have one last hurrah and go to Alaska" then we can start trying. Well, it only took the first try and we conceived. My wife was actually pregnant while we were in Alaska and we didn't know it. :)

I guess I thought I/we wouldn't be doing any more fun things. I know, selfish. BUT I still hunt a lot and we do fun things as a family. It's nothing like I imagined. A couple weekends ago we all went out shed hunting, my daughter on my back. Going to the beach this summer and so forth. I guess I thought we'd be tied down and stuck at home. Not at all. Honestly, I don't know why I kept putting it off. It's definitely a great feeling knowing that she is part of me and I can't wait to show her the world of hunting. Just hope she enjoys it half as much as I do. I know you didn't ask for pics but I've turned into one of those dads :) Gotta show her off.

If you guys decide to have kids, you won't regret it. It's the best thing I've ever done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two children and they are the love of my life 30+ years later. They in turn have provided me with grandchildren which are the extension of that love. I'm sure it is not for everyone, but for me life would not be fulfilled without them.

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have four boys. And as rowdy, crazy and just like their daddy they can be, I wouldn't change anything. The older two were "if we have them, then we have them". We decided that we want them to be close in age when we started trying. My third was my "deployment" baby. We got pregnant with him because we didn't want the age gap to be too big, as would have been if we waited until I came home or on leave, and also so we could have top preference on leave choice. The last one was our last attempt at a girl. Now, he'll be one on Monday.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Me, too (9-12th grade). :)

I suppose my concern is when people say it's not for everyone. How do you really know until the time comes? I really enjoy life without kids and the freedom it brings (selfish, I know). However, part of me wants to see my wife as a mother. I think it would be a new level of happiness. I could go either way, really.

Thanks for the input so far.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

11. ERICWEST

ERICWEST Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I will start where I met my wife, @ school at the time and she had a 7 yr old at first I was very query but as time went on I became closer and closer with him. after 7 years we had one of our own, my Lily man Bode and I tell you what they are the reason I get up every day and give me something to look forward to coming home after work, along with my beautiful wife so yes at first I was skeptical but would not change it for the world. Someday hopefully along time from now I want to be a grandpa and look at it and realize that I had a part in this.

12. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This was me to a "T" Good luck with your decision.

13. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No kids for me. It just never happened , Guess it just wasn't in the cards for me I'm at the age now I wont have any.
    Honestly not having children is the biggest regret in my life.
    It bothers me but I have accepted it........

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm young and my mindset will likely change, but my biggest hurdle is whether or not ill settle down and get married first. Much less kids.

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an 18 month old daughter and another daughter to be born on June 6. I never wanted kids but it just happened and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I walk in the door after work and she comes running to me squealing and laughing. I may not be in a good mood from issues at work but she puts me in a great mood. Love her to death!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Like many guys I was in the fence about having kids. I felt like my life was good just the way it was and if I never had them I was okay with that. My wife wanted kids pretty bad so I said sure, let's go for it. Easier said than done I found out. Took almost a year and a half to finally get one to stick and it was pretty stressful at times.

My son is now a year and a half and is without question the best thing in my life. I couldn't imagine life without him.

Kid #2 is on the way and expected in July. This should be interesting with a 2 year old and a newborn.

17. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This thread reminds me of when we were getting married and having to do those marriage counseling sessions before getting married. The priest asked us if we planned to have kids and our response was "as soon as we can afford it", to which he responded "so never then?".

2 daughters later and life couldn't be better. My 9 year old girl hunts and plays hockey, what more can you ask for? Haha. 3 year old loves to get dirty outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My son is now a man, almost 26 years old. It seems like yesterday that I was still changing diapers and teaching him things. Man, it went by fast. It was the most rewarding thing I've done. It wasn't always easy but it was definitely worth it. In your case, you can't go wrong by having kids.

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I met my first daughter when she was 1.5 years old when I started dating her mom. Soon after we were married, I adopted her. The adoption process was nerve wracking since the biological father could have caused problems. In the end it went smoothly. She is 30 now. While I missed the first year and a half of her life... she and her mom were the best thing of my life. She has always been a daughter to me.

We have two other kids. Tyler who is 22 and Britney who is 14. Our kids are spaced pretty far apart and that worked out good for us but it would have been better for the kids if they would have been closer. Our grand daughter is 10 so that worked out pretty good with Britney !!! LOL

Kids are great !! They stress the hell out of you while they are growing up and then really stress the hell out of you when they are grown up. They sure keep life interesting and I have enjoyed almost ever moment of it. Wouldn't trade it for the world !!

Tim

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right, thats the first step for me. Its more of finding a place to go and settle down though. I guess where ever I can find a steady job on a fire department or with an ambulance company, but this is still a year or two down the road.