Texting life moments..

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by NY Bowhunter, Jan 30, 2014.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you consider it bad to have a text conversation about important things in life. Say... breaking up with a gf/bf? Firing someone from work? I used to think it was ridiculous. I'm kind of on the fence now. Seems to be the mode of communication these days. Is it now "acceptable" to do such things? I actually found myself text firing someone last year. Just because we were in the middle of a conversation anyway so I just finished it. What do you think?

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Things are so informal these days that it seems many accept things like that. Maybe in your situation it was called for but to me I think the right thing to do is have a face to face conversation or at least talk to on the phone if that is impossible.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the "life moment"...

For the scenarios you listed... Absolutely not. Those things need to be done face to face rather than through texting.

A life moment where you text your buddies that your first child was just born may be appropriate (just off the top of my head). It is becoming the main source of communication for the younger generations like me, but there are things that can't be said/done through texts... And ending a relationship or firing should not be one of those things.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you from experience that young people only think a correspondence is important if it is a text. If it is an e-mail, they only read the subject line. If it is a phone call they get annoyed. “If it was important you would of texted. “ Just saying.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody should text someone to tell them those types of things. But there's a lot of people, young and old, that can't handle the face to face conversations.

If someone starts to say something serious through text, I'll just call them. It is funny when they refuse to answer though, had that happen a few times.

6. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I once had a girl I was seeing for about a month break up with me with a text. I was ok with it because it just saved any awkward moments. But it also eliminated break up sex. Since we were only dating a month it wasn't such an issue but I don't think it would be right to do it to somebody you have been dating for more then a few months.

But as far as other life events I think it is ok. You might tell your buddies your engaged and its time to celebrate, or your son is born. I think it all depends on the emotional impact and whether or not you would want the news that way.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are breaking up or firing someone that should be done face to face unless you fear for your life or are many miles away. Letting someone go is not easy but hopefully you have enough respect for them to look them in the eye and do it. Call me old fashion but that is my take on it.

Do I think you are a bad person for doing so? :hater: Absolutely not but I personally would not have done it that way. Programming wont let me.

MnHunterr said it better than I did.

8. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally, I'm trying not to cross that line. Being a contractor, a lot of conversations would be a lot easier through text but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think important communications should be texted. Just my opinion.

10. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I fired my secretary via e-mail and felt bad about it. She took it like a champ

11. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would piss me off if someone emailed or text me that I was fired. I would ignore the text or email and still show up for work the next day and act like nothing had happened. I would bring something to work as in goodies or act like life is going great with a big smile on my face to make the person feels so horrid when he did have to face me. Then go in a big melt down wondering what I was going to do to make ends meet, wife is sick and dieing... just to make him/her feel even more horrible for firing me with a text.

I would have a lot of fun at their expense since they didn't do the right thing and fire me properly... face to face.

If they text me while I was working... I better not say what I would do. Let's just say they would be looking for a lot of stuff long after I was gone cause I just can't remember where I put it. :)

Tim

12. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I assumed it would go there eventually. I can assure you it has nothing to do with not being able to handle it face to face. Done it hundreds of times. Will do it again if needed. In fact that's what I prefer. But, it just seems more and more acceptable these days (even on the other end). Let's face it. Texting has become the way of communication for the most part. Far outweighs actual phone conversations. So if you are in the middle of a conversation of the new way of communicating, is it really that bad?

13. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LIKE!!!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I would too. But that expectation is rapidly changing whether we like it or not. Young people live in a different world.

15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know that but it still seems wrong. I better go unfriend my boss from facebook. That would really suck to have... you're fired !!!! ... on my Timeline. :jaw: :lol:

Tim

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm young and my generation still doesn't view texts as formal. Sure when talking with friends or even bosses about shifts texting is fine and way more convenient than phone calls, but Hiring...Firing...etc should be done in person or over the phone. Same with ending relationships (which is weird for me to even type because of every relationship I've been in... a lot... I've only ever ended one face to face).

17. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll explain why she got and email and not a call. I emailed her some problems on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and she asked in her e-mail if I wanted her to come back to work. I didn't respond until Friday when I found out that she didn't do parts of her job. I tried calling her but she didn't answer and I don't leave too many voice mails. I replied to her message and told her that her services were no longer required.

18. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO.........

19. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that is similar to how mine went. I needed information and only way I was getting it was through text. No returned calls, and really needed to know what the guys deal was. Didn't have time to wait to "catch up to him" face to face. Or wait to see if today was the day he was going to show up to work. So I hired somebody else and text him hes not needed. Magically I got a reply and said ok .. sorry.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Depends upon your perspective. People have different values because they learned them. I could be off base but I think you regret doing so hence the question. It has to be weighing on your mind. But at the end of the day its done and over with. You don't seem to be a horrible person else you wouldn't care if it matters. Its all good and I am sure you did what you had too.