Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bch1988 is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta parrot everyone else. Need to learn your snakes. For safety sake.

But he was just a harmless corn. They're pretty docile pets actually.

I keep reptiles myself, but realize some people really don't like the scaled creatures.

REMYNGTON is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    SwampStalker, I could be mistaken but I don't actually think there are any native venomous or dangerous snakes in RI. I can see how maybe you're a little on edge because the previous owner kept snakes and who's to say what kind he had or if he had any escape his care. I'd prob be a little concerned aswell knowing that.
    ~"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." -Fred Bear

~2008 Diamond Marquis 28.5" @ 68#
    ~NAP Apache Dropaway
    ~TruGlo 3pin sight (looking to replace soon)
    ~Tru Fire release
    ~Beman ICS Bowhunter 340's w/NAP Quickfletch
    ~Swhacker 125gr

fletch920 is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Stalker View Post
    well...like i have stated several times MY FAMILY is actively outside a lot.......my 4 and 6 yr old niece and nephew are over all the time and love to play outside...i value there safety over the life of a snake. and found it funny someone telling me it's a shame i killed it....when its my family's safety that im concerned about...
    I was not attacking you personally. I just hate seeing people killing harmless snakes. I was simply pointing out that is was very different from people killing "harmless" deer because we kill the deer for food. A lot of people kill snakes just because they are snakes. That in my opinion is a shame. My oldest son had a pet corn snake for many years. They are very docile and she loved to be held and would curl up in his shirt pocket. Definitely was not any threat to anyone. I like that you are at least goning to identify the snakes now and not just kill them. I wish more people would take that approach. Snakes are pretty cool if you learn about them and get comfortable with them.
    If you live with anger, you are living in the past. If you live with fear, you are living in the future.

Woody9220 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took everyone's advice and looked up the snakes in my hunting area. Found out we have 4 venomous snakes. Always thought my dad was pulling my leg when he said to watch out for rattle snakes cotton mouths and copperheads. Definately a little freaked out to know there is a real possibly of coming across one of these. They aren't common but they are in my area.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

BrianWI is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it is best if you conquer your irrational fears rather than beating harmless reptiles with a shovel. I'm pretty sure the corn snake wasn't going to eat any children. If you conquer the fear and show the children the snake, maybe you won't pass on the misconceptions.

The Old Man is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWI View Post
    Sometimes it is best if you conquer your irrational fears rather than beating harmless reptiles with a shovel. I'm pretty sure the corn snake wasn't going to eat any children. If you conquer the fear and show the children the snake, maybe you won't pass on the misconceptions.
    Even if they are irrational fears it doesn't necessarily mean they are easy to or even can be overcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    All fears can be overcome. But hunters, of all people, should understand conservation and the balance of nature. I don't think being indiscriminate killers at any level is in our best interest. Respect for our resources, etc....

The Old Man is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    All fears can be overcome.
    This is not an attempt to start an argument and I'll leave this alone from this post on. I just don't believe you are correct in this.

Swamp Stalker is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry if i snapped at some people or took some responses as an "attack". I'm pretty new to the forum, and was welcomed nicely, and have really enjoyed posting and seeing friendly responses, making me feel welcome and enjoy my time here. I guess when i saw some what seemed like negative responses to a question i asked,,,i got pissed off because i was told to "ask away, many knowledgeable people on here" response. i came here to this forum from another forum that has gotten way out of hand with bashing of people and immediately thought....here we go again.

I love the outdoors, i live and breath whitetails year round, and i love talking anything and everything whitetails, and truly enjoy coming here to talk about all of it. remember, hindsight is always 20/20. its easy to say what "should" be done when not in the situation, but reality is, you never know how you will react until you are in the situation. this applies to war...and almost everything in life. again my apologies, and lesson learned with snakes......lol!!

BRIANWI....please tell me how to overcome my fear of heights if all fears can be overcome!!!
    *****NOD-STOPPER PRO STAFF*****
    Joe

TALL TINES & NAUGHTY PINES #13

Proud to call the bowhunting.com forums home!

TJF
    TJF is online now Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
    There are no dangerous snakes where I live. My fear/hate for snakes goes back to when I was a little kid. Doesn't make sense to anyone but me. Just the way it is.
    My mom is the same way and the wife hates them too. Sadly for mom, my brother and I loved catching and keeping them in the water tank in the barn when it wasn't in use in the summer. She seldom went in the barn when we were kids but when she did... it was usually good for a laugh when she came screaming out of there.

My daughter likes catching them and walking around the year with them much to the horror of the wife. She didn't fall to far from the tree. LOL

Tim

carlson is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know how to get over a fear of heights! I used to have it but I needed work, got hired on as a high rise window cleaner. Sitting on a board hanging off the side of a building either learn to control an stop the fear or pee your pants and cry those are your two choices 60 floors up haha. I used to get sketched by spiders so I bought myself some tarantualas (can't spell sorry) I learned how to care for them an everything now I don't mind spiders at all I like mine an ill now nicely move wild ones I find in my house with out killing them first, big step to how I was couple years ago they got smushed ASAP.

Spear is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm kinda like Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes, I hate 'em. It's not that I am really afraid of them I just think they're weird. And I've owned lizards/chameleons when I was younger so I don't know why I hate them so much. Maybe it's because Satan took form of a snake in the Bible. Who knows...
    Last edited by Spear; 05-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    -Doug

Bear Charge 62#/29"
    Deer fur finger tab
    Trophy Ridge Punisher 3-pin sight
    Whisker Biscuit rest
    LimbSaver Bow String Decelerator
    Saunders Hyper Glide
    Easton Raider Carbon Arrows
    100gr G5 Montec

http://www.nineacrearchery.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlson gave you some advice, sounded pretty good. Knowledge is power.

If you still can't overcome your fear, seek a professional. It is worth doing I would think, if the alternative is living with intense fear you don't need to have.

Paul Inglett is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Any relation to the brokeback mountain rattler?
    omg lol

2013 Appling, Georgia
    Bowhunters' Festival
    Archery Tournament
    Compound Top 5 Finisher

2013 Bear Anarchy
    Draw Weight: 70 lbs.
    Draw Length: 28 inches
    Muzzy Mx3 100 grain broadhead
    Victory Vforcre 350 grain arrow
    Trophy Ridge React bow sight
    Trophy Ridge Revolution arrow rest

130Woodman is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't see the need to seek help for my fear of snakes. I see a snake, I freak out then I kill said snake. I still don't see it being a problem. They aren't endangered and I haven't killed one in 3 years. You are welcome to your opinion but I'm perfectly happy with my fear of snakes because I could have a fear of something totally stupid then I WOULD have to seek help.

Carlson gave you some advice, sounded pretty good. Knowledge is power.

If you still can't overcome your fear, seek a professional. It is worth doing I would think, if the alternative is living with intense fear you don't need to have.
    Did I hear someone say something about bowhunting?

Poster of the 1,000,000 post

www.matcodist.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast