Anybody else pumped for The Hobbit?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else pumped? Concerns about them splitting a 300 page book into 3 movies? Or are you too insecure and consider this just nerd nonsense?

I'll be seeing it in IMAX 3D, so I'll probably have to change my pants at some point.

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be there opening weekend, I read the Hobbit in 4th grade. One of my favorite books.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One of my childhood favorites! One time I took this book into the attic of a bookshop and threw a blanket over myself and read it outloud while envisioning everything with my vivid imagination. Oh wait, that was The Neverending Story. Great book though and with a story that cool I don't see how it can be a bad movie!

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People are pissed/worried about it being split into 3 movies, which kinda bothers me because it is an obvious money grab, but then again, it is not like there is a lack of material from Tolkien's world to pull from. I trust Peter Jackson.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am with you Hook.......MY wife preordered tickets for me, though she probably wont go with me. I have never seen any movie in 3Dso this will be a first.
    Reading the Hobbit had big influence on my life and education. I am product of private catholic schools up until I went to college. Before the summer break at the end of 6th grade; the librarian who was also the daily detention teacher( a place I spent most of my afternoons) assigned me three books to read over the summer break. What the first two were I now don't remember but the last book I read that summer( like two days before I was due back in class in September) was The Hobbit. Within weeks I had read the LOTR and that became my introduction in life to reading. I have never stopped reading for an appreciable length of time since then.

6. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    With the job Jackson did with LOTR, I think your correct we have to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read the Hobbit in 7th grade. It was pretty difficult for me to understand for some reason. Maybe it was because I envisioned naked girls after every other word I read.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did not read The Hobbit till college, then I reread it again this year. It is a pretty simple story, and much lighter than LOTRs. I'm pretty excited about seeing some of the "off screen" stuff being fleshed out.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Completely pumped! The only reason I am bummed about the 3 movies is how far apart it will be before we can,see the whole story...

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Hook and company..... did you ever plow your way through the Silmarillion and all the there after unfinished works?

The thing about the Hobbit and even the LOTR as stand alone works, is that they were just that stand alone . When you first read them Tolkien gave just enough background in those stories that you always knew you were scratching the surface of the "whole story" but he never he left you with an incomplete feeling that you didn't know enough history to enjoy the tale while reading the Hobbit and LOTR on their own . A big problem with the genre and those who write it is they elude to vast histories in their current books but you can tell that know histories don't really exist. Tolkein was different in that they did, the history was there in his mind and in bits and pieces written though years.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NERDS!!!!!

Just kidding, I'm sure I'll watch it but I pretty much refuse to go to the movie theater.

12. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't realize it was going to be a trilogy, that's kinda strange. Like you said Hook, the story wasn't very complex. Especially in comparison to LOTR. It is a major cash cow though. Considering most people haven't read the book. A buddy of mine thought it was a sequel to LOTR. lol

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not. I have been meaning to read The Silmarillion for awhile, but from friend reviews, I either hear that it is Tolkiens' greatest work, or that it is just a bunch of names :lol: Seeing The Hobbit might get me to finally try to plow through it though.

14. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll wait until it comes out in Redbox, movie theaters are a rip off these days

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only see certain movies in theaters. Epic movies such as The Hobbit, deserve to be seen in the highest detail possible.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This .....

17. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    My tv setup at the house is the highest detail and I don't have to pay $10 for a drink and popcorn either! :D

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    higher detail than IMAX 3D?

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can't touch IMAX 3D, bro....have you ever been to one?

20. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I can't top IMAX, I'm still not spending that much to watch any movie and yes I've been to IMAX and it just felt like an overpriced theater to me.