German shorthair pointer

Discussion in 'WANTED' started by carnage1990, Feb 5, 2013.

1. carnage1990

carnage1990 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody know of a good kennel in pennsylvania that breeds german shorthair pointers?
    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got mine up near the ny border 10 years ago

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great dog, will this be your first of the breed

4. carnage1990

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir. I still am in the process of thinking about it. I have wanted one for years however I live in a doublewide and I am just worried the dog will need more room to burn energy. Granted I have a decent sized yard and access to a family farm. Just don't want to jump into it like alot of people do.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great pet and hunter. Loyal and sweet. First few years require that exercise.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 3 year old GSP, I actually got him from Sliverflicker on here. I love that dog like crazy. He goes everywhere I go in the woods in the spring and summer, even found me a set of sheds this past spring :tu: he's super athletic, and real smart. He once jumped over my closed tailgate, and my truck is lifted 4". I'm looking to buy another registered female, that way I can breed them and sell the puppies. I don't think you will regret getting one!

7. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest a different breed if they don't have room to run. Our year and a half GSP I swear can run our whole fifty acres in ten seconds. He is still young and not well trained but we haven't had much luck with him in the house, just way to much energy. Also seems like this breed needs a lot more obedience training compared to our lab, your gonna have to put your time in.

8. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome dogs, my sister an brother-in-law have one they use as a bird dog. Very good listener an they have one of a bark! I'm lookin into one or a chocolate lab

9. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is a year and a half. Love him to death, my girlfriend thinks otherwise of him! He is absolutely full of it. While being pretty obedient, it is definitely hard to get them settled down when they have so much built up energy. If you work more than 8 hour days and don't have time on a daily basis to train and exercise it may not be the breed for you but with that said, a well trained obedient gsp might be the most rewarding breed out there.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Beware..... That dog is SUPER high energy and requires a lot of room to run... If they don't get it, you will be sorry....
    If given the proper attention and exercise, they are great dogs

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome dogs. Ive had several over the years an looking to get another. With that said the first year or two are hectic. My dad came home on day when they were pups. One literally ate the sheet rock an was chewing on the main electric line to the house. After they are a few years old they are good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DOn't think something like that is exclusive to GSP's or Weims either...the three lab mix pups I was "gifted" last summer have done a lot of damage to my shop over the winter. They pulled some of the paneling off and chewed two air hoses up beyond repair. The fact is that all hunting dogs can (and probably will) get ornery from time to time and tear up crap. Every lab I've ever been around had a tendency to roam and range far afield and that is not a quality I like at all. I prefer dogs that will range close while upland hunting and will stay near the house when let out. Just not a lab fan but they are good dogs for a lot of people.

If I ever buy another dog it will be either a Weim or a GSP or both....of course I live and work on large acreage so I guess I have that in my favor.

13. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just to give you an idea...my buddy has one on his 25 acres and sometimes thinks he needs more room...he runs circles around that property all day long.....well mannered and behaved but my buddy also put in hours and hours a week in training and still spends quite a bit of time on stuff now....not to mention that dog goes EVERYWHERE with him.....as said bottom line is if you don't have the time or room you will be in serious trouble....that dog will ruin you and you it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

14. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 GSP's. Both are from a rescue. I don't have a large yard but its fenced in and they do a job on my grass in the spring and fall. Great dogs tho. There is probably a rescue near you as lots of people under estimate their energy and walking/ running requirements. The first one I got because a younger fellow had him and lived with his parents still. He needed an eye procedure because his eyelashes curled under and irritated his eyes. He couldn't pay for it. The dog basically taught me how to bird hunt. Don't think of rescue dogs as "wild" or "trouble" dogs, usually just troubled owners. I wont ever get 2 again, but will never go without 1 again either. They are great family dogs.

15. carnage1990

Dislikes Received:
    Its been a while since I've posted but I just wanted to confirm that we have had our GSP Hank for a year and a half now. He is the absolute best dog I could ever ask for. He doesn't need a leash or tied up. He listens completely. Is trained for shed hunting and found his first couple sheds at 11 weeks old. He is also great with pheasents. Getting him exercise has not been an issue. I am around many gsp owners and they all say mine has the most energy they've ever seen but I run him in the woods and in the yard all day. He is simply an amazing dog. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

16. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your dog is beautiful!

18. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had one, great dog. Yours is beautiful.