No clue where to start!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Stickit05, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Stickit05

Stickit05 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for tips or opinions on what to use for filming. I'm not looking to put videos on YouTube or doing anything fancy just enough to replay the memories and show the family. I would like to stay on the cheaper side but don't want to give up to much quality in view. Like I said I am clueless when it comes to brands and sizes pretty much anything to do with cameras so any advice would be great.

2. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are iPhone, and other types of phones, holders that mount to the bow. I haven't tried one and I am sure it is not top quality video, but it serves the purpose. Also, you could try Risercam.. but the video quality isn't very good.

4. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Read this. Also, how much are you looking to spend?

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What type of a budget are you looking to spend. Need to remember that in addition to your camera you will need a tree arm or tripod depending on your hunting style and most likely a fluid or camera head. Based on what your describing you want to do you can probably get away with just using an inexpensive Sony Handycam or similar camera for around $100-$300

6. Stickit05

Dislikes Received:
    Im wanting to stay around $500 give or take, im just lost when it comes to cameras and video cameras. Id like to keep it simple and easier to use. The handy cam seems alright but is theyre one just a step up from that? what are fluid heads? another thing is i dont know what is campatable with eachother from camera to camera arm to "fluid head". So what would be a good starter kit to you guys?

7. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go to Campbell Cameras, Campbell Cameras - Home, and check out some of their packages that they offer. From there you can get a better understanding of it and then try to piece together your own package for what your looking to accomplish. That's what I did when I put together my rig and it worked out well.

8. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Sony Handycam and a Panasonic HV-C100. Both are around 200.00. Both are 40x zoom. The Panasonic beats the Sony hands down as far as picture quality and focus. It also has a separate button for still shots.

9. Stickit05

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the info. I was looking last night at the Panasonic hc-v250, I think I may go that route. Do the camera arms work with all camera? What else would I need to get with this camera seeings how I will be using it in a tree stand?

10. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to camera arms I think the Muddy arms are the best out there. But if you are looking for a cheaper arm the Big Game arms are pretty good. The arms will come with a mount that should screw right into the bottom of your camera. Also a Fluid Head is a great thing to have if you want a smooth pan to the shot, but most of the arms will give you what you are looking for I would think. I don't know how much the camera you are going to use weighs, but i would think any arm will be able to handle it. I hope you get hooked on filming because its almost as fun as shooting. Good luck.

11. Scrapelinehunters

Scrapelinehunters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GoPro Hero3+ $299.00 with extras at Campbell Cameras.

12. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just use a Sony Handy Cam cx220, I believe. Its cheap but its small enough and light enough I can take it just about anywhere. Most of the videos On my You Tube channel were shot with it.