LANC not working when its humid outside

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by TXhoghunter94, Mar 4, 2015.

1. TXhoghunter94

TXhoghunter94 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most mornings if its moist outside and the humidity is somewhat high, my LANC controller will not work at all until it drys out some, closer to 8-10 in the morning. Am I the only one who has this issue or do others experience this same issue? Usually I will test everything before I walk out the door and then put my XA20 and controller in my backpack and then once I get all set up in the stand, it will sometimes not work at all shortly after getting it set up. I am in TX so it is pretty humid down here. I was thinking of finding or making a little water resistant cover to enclose the controller so that no dew or moisture will get on it until I need to use it. I think this would fix my issue but I just wanted to know if anyone else was having trouble with it or if its just me. Thanks!

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never heard of that happening. Sounds like it is an issue with your controller. Which one do you have?

3. TXhoghunter94

Dislikes Received:
    I have the VZROCK with the focus. Originally I thought it was a short in the cord but after many times testing it, it starts working again after every morning hunt. It will also start to stop working some nights where we are out night hog hunting and its moist outside. I should probably just call them and see what they say might be the issue.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say that I've ever had that issue. I suppose there could be an issue with condensation and temperature changes the could cause issues. I know a lot of folk recommend putting your camera(or other sensitive electronics) into a sealed plastic back when you are changing environments. I can't say that I have ever done this, but I suppose it has some merit. Not sure if this could help.

5. TXhoghunter94

Dislikes Received:
    That is definitely a thought. I try to keep the camera at outdoor temp so that it won't fog up. I usually try to keep it in the truck or under the porch if it's dry enough.

6. jonathan_2227

jonathan_2227 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would also check and see if it just with temperatures. If the copper wire is almost broke, the cold weather will make it open, warmer weather with make it expand and work.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good thought. I had to put a new plug on my lanc because the end and been bent back and forth and over time, the connection came loose and it only worked intermittently.

8. TXhoghunter94

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that is a very good suggestion since it would contract in the cold and loose contact. I'll check that out tonight, if anything it can't hurt to replace it anyway. I called the company on Tuesday (I think) and left a message so hopefully they'll call me back soon.

9. jonathan_2227

jonathan_2227 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Put the cord in the fridge for a while and see what happens.

10. TXhoghunter94

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that is a great idea! Ill stick it in the fridge first and test it out and then the freezer if necessary. Last season though there were some days it stopped working early season when it was in the 80's but hopefully we'll get down to the bottom of this soon.