The dreaded "bounce"

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Ryan A, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just recieved my Canon HF G30 and Rode shotgun mic in the mail, and as expected, when I attached it to my Pine Ridge camera arm, there was a horrible bounce when I let go of the camera. I had a feeling this was going to be the case, but didn't want to buy a new camera arm right away without testing it out on my old one first. Obviously, now I'm on the market for a new one. So far I've looked at the Muddy Outfitter and Pro models. I already have a silent strap and fluid head, so thats why leaning towards Muddy. I self film mostly, so im looking for something fairly light, but solid. Any opinions are appreciated!

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the muddy outfitter, this past fall was first time I tried filming with it. Found it to be pretty solid and after a few trips out to the stand it was easy and fairly quick to setup. Having used it this whole year the only thing I've been thinking of changing is picking up a couple tree mounts to leave out in the stand to cut down on setting up time. Mainly only because I only have a couple stands so wouldn't cost much and would be able to use a smaller pack when hauling in gear.

3. TXhoghunter94

TXhoghunter94 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the muddy pro and I love it! I have a canon XA20 so basically the same set up and it does still bounce a little if you make it. Its not too heavy taking it back and forth to the stand and I would recommend it.

4. LowbanksArcher

LowbanksArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Muddy Pro and as steady and solid as it looks, it'll still bounce a bit if you're not careful. I'm not sure it's possible to not have some bounce on a lightweight arm strapped to the bark of a tree.

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I dont actually own one but give third arm a look. I built 3 for myself out of aluminum that are modled very similar to theres. There solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang you and your talent! Those look fantastic!

I'd say you can't go wrong with the muddy. Just make sure you check the weight rating. I went with 2x the rating compared to what my camera actually weighed, mainly in case I ever want to shoot with my DSLR's

7. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Life of a mechanic/ fabricator, and thanks!

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another happy Muddy user here. I have been using the Hunter model for the past 3 seasons and love the thing.

9. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the muddy arms

10. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking into getting a muddy arm myself, I also have had issues with the bounce using a oak sturdy semi pro arm which I don't believe they make anymore.

11. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 3rd arm and love it! I feel like I could stand on the thing and it would be solid!

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have have the Muddy Pro and consider it just OK. As a self filmer, generally you are trying to operate all your functions with just one hand. Pan, tilt, zoom, focus. I like how light and compact it is for carrying in, but it has a fair amount of bounce and I' don't really care for horizontal leveling system. I also fell like I can never get the silent strap tight enough on the tree to hold the base completely secure on the tree. I'm running a Sony PXW-X70, with a shotgun mic and a wireless mic setup, so it's heavier than your setup.

I've also used the 3rd arm pro and can say that it was extremely solid in both attaching to the tree and how steady the arm is. It's just pretty heavy and large to pack in or I'd probably still be using it.

13. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is not hoong to apply to those buying arms because there so pricy. The reason I have 3 is i leave them set up in my top 3 stands at the time to keep packing in minimal. I do take fluid arm out everytime. With the third arm you could get one complete arm and head and then buy a couple more heads they sell seperate. That way you only need to pack the arm to each set. But it all depends on your area with thieves. Im lucky to not have any issues with tresspassers.