lense question

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em, Jan 22, 2015.

1. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The camera I use for filming my hunts came with 3 extra lenses, 3 Piece Multi-Coated Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD), not sure what these are and how they can impact or affect footage? also good uses for them? Since ive had the camera I have never used them, due to being unsure of why/when they would be useful. Thanks for any help you can provide for this rookie haha

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would help if you provided what camera you have and what lenses. Any info on the filters would help too, it is usually etched into the side of the housing. That will help us give you a better answer.

But in general ...

UV = Ultra-violet filter. There is a lot of debate on the value they serve. In general, most feel that they are no more than a protective cover for your actual lens. In fact if the UV filter is of low quality, it can hurt your image quality.

CPL = Circular Polarizing Filter. Basically it works like polarized sun glasses work for the fisherman. It takes glare out of shiny surfaces like water, allowing a deeper view. The "circular" means that you can adjust the level of polarization by rotating the filter. Polarizing works at 90 degrees to the sun, so as you rotate it you will get varying degrees of polarization. The easiest way to determine max from minimum is to hold it up in front of an LCD screen (computer monitor will work) and rotate it while looking through the lens. You will see it change as you rotate it. You also have to realize that if it is a low quality filter then it can be a detriment to your image also.

FLD = Ferro Liquid Display filter. This is really a hold over from the film days. What it does is it will somewhat correct for the effects of fluorescent lighting, mostly in terms of white balance. Fluorescent lighting can play havoc on film or even a DSLR camera sensor. The color spectrum is goofy and the 60Hz cycle changes the color continuously. Try shooting a DSLR in rapid fire under florescent lights and then go look at the colors in the photos. Every photo will be different in color and white balance. With DSLR cameras they have processors that account for this in their fluorescent white balance settings so really the filter is of little use.

The filter that you do not list and is probably the one that I would recommend any photographer have is a set of quality ND (neutral density) filters. They are extremely useful when shooting video on a DSLR, as they restrict the light coming into the camera and allow you to open up the aperture on bright days to get that shallow depth of field that is so appealing about DSLR video work.

Hope that is of some help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is extremely helpful thanks!

My camera is a Sony HXR-NX30. I haven't used any of these filters before, but the CPL could be helpful filming bowfishing type stuff. All of the lenses came with the package so im guessing they aren't of the highest quality...

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a UV filter mostly to protect the cameras lense. You can replace the UV filter a lot easier than the camera lense and a lot cheaper.