B roll

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by MO Shorthair, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but what are your must haves for shooting b roll? I tend to climb in the tree and do a quick interview and then leave the camera off till deer come to the field. If I see an animal I will record that but seems like I don't run the camera till the deer arrive.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I like to take a couple pans of the hunting area and a few still videos of certain things of interest. I will take some rack focus shots of my equipment. If the clouds are moving I will do a time lapse. I'll get some shots of birds, squirrels or anything else that is moving. I've used my GoPro down on the ground doing a time lapse of me setting up the Lone Wolf. I turned out pretty cool.

Best thing about using a camera that uses solid state memory is that it doesn't cost you anything but time to video. I just delete what I'm not happy with or not going to use.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you're trying to do I guess. How much of the story are you trying to tell. I personally don't like just seeing some dude show up in a tree and then a deer walk out, because that's not at all what hunting is like for me. I try and do a pre-hunt interview either while getting ready or on the way out to the stand. Then, I try and make sure to get b-roll of anything that I talked about (or will talk about) in the interview. If I mention that I'm hunting along a creek or beaverdam, I'll try an show that before I'm up in the tree.

When I'm in the tree, I shoot a lot of video. I really try and get footage of any animal I see. Try and show what the weather is like with a few different shots. Yes, you want to have a wide establishing shot, but complement that with some tight shots of grass blowing in the wind, branches swaying or leaves falling.

For interviews, I try and do a bunch. I'll do at least two takes of each one. I like to have a pre-hunt, first in stand, season update, and closing interviews. I'll add more if something happens, ie deer encounter or cool animal sighting.

I don't always get all this stuff every time, but the more you have, the more flexibility you'll have in post when putting together your hunts. I also won't use over half of what I video, but it's there if I need it.

One quick side note, I like to take at least 15-20 seconds for my short b-roll shots. This gives you enough of a clip to work with. When I first started I had all these 5-10 second shots that I found to be useless.