Editing software

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Hunt4jesus, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Hunt4jesus

Hunt4jesus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased a sony pxw, I went to transfer files to my editing and it didn't read them. I use the cheap ole imovie and figured I need an upgrade. What do you recommend.....

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For now, the only real option if you are recording in XAVC is premier pro creative cloud. You can download the Sony catalysts browser and covert the files one at a time to .mov and they should work in any editor. If you switch over to AVCHD, they will import into any software, but the quality isn't quite as good as XAVC files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    This is a problem that will be worked out in the near future, it's just a brand new codec, so everyone has to catch up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

4. Hunt4jesus

Hunt4jesus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I film in avchd as of now and imovie I have does not work. I am gonna just buy the monthly subscription to premiere pro. Unless you think vegas or something else would be a better fit. I currently have a mac but really would like a computer just for editing purposes, as this is more a family computer.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I can't comment on Vegas, FCP, etc., but Premiere Pro CC is the way to go, imho. The subscription/cloud based model, while not the best in terms of never truly owning the software, does allow regular updates for things like codec support, bug fixes, new lens profiles (PS and Lightroom), etc., with pretty quick turn around rather than waiting for incremental updates.

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I also think the Premier Pro Creative Cloud is a pretty good deal. It gives you access to a very high end software with all the bells and whistles at a relatively affordable price. It constantly gets updates, so you will always have the latest and greatest.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What version of iMovie do you have? i have a Canon G20 and record in AVCHD and they import just fine. I have version 10.0.6. Maybe you just need to upgrade to the newer version. Beats dropping the jack for the software that you might not really need.

8. Hunt4jesus

Hunt4jesus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure need to check on that, and the ppro software monthly payment will be good fit?