Photography people.....Camera suggestion?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Dec 16, 2014.

1. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for a last minute gift idea for the GF. She has shown interest in wanting to take "better" pics of our son. We just have a run of the mill $200 or $300 Nikon Coolpix now.

I was thinking of getting her a DSLR Cam. I know they can be expensive, and thats not really a concern but am completely unaware of what I am looking at?

She has no photography experience so I guess I would be looking into a cam that is somewhat easy to use but if possible one that would be fine in the long run if she does really take to it? Replaceable Lens, etc...??

What am I looking for, any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Actually can someone move this thread to the Photo/Video section. I didnt even realize we had a section for that on here.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Pentax DSLR camera. It has the automatic settings but once you start to learn you can go in manual and adjust everything yourself. You can get a camera kit (with one lense) for probably $300-400.

A lot of people swear by Cannon Rebel - I've never used one, but I believe they also would have an automatic setting. Those usually go for around $500 (cheaper end).

4. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input.
    I said $$ was not an issue, BUT I am not trying to spend $1000 to get her started either. If I can stay $600 or below just to find out if it's something she will take too that would be great.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This CAN be a little like "which bow is best," or "which truck is best."

With that being said, if she wants room to grow, DSLRs are a solid option. With every camera system, there are advantages and disadvantages. I tell all of my students to go handle as many bodies (camera bodies that is) as possible. Get a feel for dial positioning, menu locations, button feel, size, weight, etc. A lot of what works for some, is uncomfortable or awkward for others. I shoot Canon as I've found I've become so accustomed to their menu/dial systems that when handling other systems can be awkward. I am often reminded of this when handling student cameras from home.

Once you have a preference for a camera body, you can make a better decision. If she eventually gets into this and acquires a few lenses, she will find herself more tied to the system due to investment in glass. It's the reason most shooters stay with one system for a long period of time. They simply have too much invested.

Speaking of glass, on all interchangeable lens cameras, quality of the shots really depends on the quality of the glass (to major extent). Most recommend that when on a budget, spend less on the body (even if it means going used/refurbished) and spend more on better glass.

I can really only give recommendations on the Canon end as it's all I've ever shot.

IF you don't foresee her getting into video much, I would consider a T5i with something like a Sigma 17-50 F2.8 lens to get started. A lot of people will go for a larger focal length range to get a lens that is more of a general purpose lens, but I find many of the low end telephoto lenses to be low quality (aside from the newer STM lenses).

The 70D would be a great camera for her if she wants a great photo/video setup on a budget (the t5i will do video, but will not have the fast autofocus during video that the 70d has).

Don't forget things like a good bag, tripod, extra batteries, etc., These are often things people overlook when first getting into the hobby. I would also recommend her considering taking a basic class or two (or at the very least, subscribing to an online training center like Lynda.com) to get some of the basics of composition and camera operation down.

To further muddy the waters, there are plenty of mirrorless cameras out there that offer many of the advantages of a DSLR, but in a much smaller form factor. If you don't think she would like a bulky camera, this could be an option.

Sorry about the very vague response, but if you let me know a little more about what types of things you think she will like to shoot, where she plans to take this, budget, etc, I can give a little better recommendation.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend a Canon SL-1 with 18-55 STM lens. I got one for my teenage daughter last year for Christmas because she had an interest in photography and was always running off with my Canon 7D. She loves the camera and lens combo. Honestly, I've played with it and it takes incredible photos and the video that it shoots is out of this world. The body is tiny for a DSLR and perfect for most women's hands or even to have as a more discrete DSLR for travel purposes. The beauty is that it uses all of my lenses from my Canon 7D too.

The Canon SL-1 and lens works right into your budget too. Pull the camera up on the B&H website and look at the reviews. Outstanding camera.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Always forget about that little guy. Too small for me, but for her it might work out nicely.

How does it balance with larger metal framed lenses? The 18-55mm STM is very lightweight.

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a small frame that is for sure. But man does it ever take excellent photos.

My secretary also has the SL1 and she runs the 75-300 kit lens on it. I've messed around with it and that lens and honestly, it balances decent and even with that lens it takes some dang nice photos.

It balances out fine with larger lenses. I've even ran my 70-200L f2.8 on it. A lot of lens sticking out there. Not exactly my go to body for that lens, but it works and the combo shoots some incredible photos.

9. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a NIKON D3200 with a 18-55 and a 55-200mm lens a good mid rage DSLR think it was around $500 and it takes great pics..

10. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all.

After thinking about it, I am still not 100% sure this is even something she would want to pursue. I never realized there was so much involved in one of these cameras.
    I will get her other things and if she wants a camera I will wait and let her try to find one that she likes herself, I dont want to buy one that she is not comfortable with.

Thanks again, and if she decides she wants one for sure I am sure I will be back with more questions.

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, check out the Canon 60D. You could find it with a 18-135mm lens for around $800, maybe even $700. I have one, it almost limitless to what you can do with it.

12. barid

barid Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Considering your needs, I'd select canon 70D

13. barid

barid Newb

Dislikes Received:
  14. f.c.geil

f.c.geil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HGH_PL has it right, in every respect. Canon Rebel T5i, 18-55, good bag, etc. I'm a professional photographer, and for the money you want to spend, that's your best option. Nikon are good cameras (not as good as Canon this year), too, as are Pentax and a dozen other brands. The camera isn't really the important part of the equation. It's the glass. A good lens will outlast several cameras, and will be a joy to work with throughout its life. So, buy the best glass you can afford, from a reputable maker that has a history of supporting their products after the sale (and continuing to work with legacy glass), then get a body that fits it. Understand, too, that the glass is where the real investment is. I have camera bodies that I use regularly that only cost $500, and lenses that cost in the tens of thousands...

All that being said, Canon mid-range and up glass is still better than Nikon. Nikon auto-focus works better, and their consumer-grade glass is just as good, maybe even better. Pentax is a really nice consumer system, but no top tier equipment, so no room to grow. Stay away from the electronics branded cameras (Sony and the like), as they tend to work more slowly, and the glass isn't up to snuff.

As personal a choice as cameras are, you may be best served to get her a gift certificate to a good camera store, and let her choose her own.