Noise from filming setups

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by TwoBucks, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much noise do they cameras you guys film with make? I tried filming some this year with a digital camera that I already had and it would always beep when I turned it on and the zoom would make considerable noise so I was kinda scared to use it when deer were close. Do camorders have this same problem?

Thanks!

2. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can turn the beeping of usually. Mine make a couple light clicks when I turn it on but other then that silent. no noise from zoom or anything

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the camera. Most camcorders will make little to no sound that a deer could hear. When I ran a Canon XHA1s, you could hear the tape deck starting up after pressing record. I don't think it was enough sound that the deer could hear it, but I always did and it always annoyed me. With a solid state camcorder, they are basically silent. A very slight sound when you turn them on, but other than that they are silent.

As stated above, you can probably turn off the beep from the settings menu on the camera.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only noise I have is my shutter opening & closing when I turn it on (DSLR). That's can be loud though. Otherwise it's quiet.

Back in the day I had a Canon GL1. Noisy as could be. I hated it.

5. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My GL2 makes a noise on start up due to the tapes.. I swear a bear heard it start one night on a bear bait.. HATE the noise, and planning on upgrading.. Never had an issue deer hunting with it though.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DSLR's will have the shutter open and shutter close noise which is nasty. The only other real noise issues that you can get into with them is if you run a lens with I.S. and turn the I.S. "on". The motor will run and continue to try to stabilize the image. It is more annoying on the footage that you get than in real life. It is often magnified on the footage and removing it using post tools is a bear.

Like was said, the solid state camcorders are pretty much noise free. When I turn on my XA20 there is a very slight noise, but nothing that would get recorded and certainly no deer is going to hear it.

I also had a tape based XH-A1 camera and it made a bunch of noise when the tape drive fired up. I could never attribute it to spooking an animal, but man did that noise drive me crazy.