Honest Critique

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by jvanhees, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would like some advice on editing. I filmed this kill early October, without much light... and put it together editing myself. This was filmed using a handycam and gopro. I will be upgrading my camera for 2015 season, to what camera I'm not sure.

What did you like?
    What didn't you like?
    Suggestions for next time?
    Good editing software?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I liked it! The opening footage needed to be wide angle but very good

3. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats...

I liked that you filmed the whole hunt by yourself.
    I liked that the film doesn't drag..you get right to the action

What I think you could improve is for example in the last scene where your with the buck make sure that there isn't anything obstructing the lens...& I agree with what ^^^^he said...open scene do a wide angle...

over all great stuff..again congrats!

4. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great thank you for the comments! I'll take these into consideration going forward!

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is what it is all about. Making memories that you can watch down the road.

My only suggestions are ..

1) When you open the video it looks like you are using a phone camera. That is fine, but turn it to landscape orientation. Vertical video never works well in a 16:9 video format world.

2) When you cut to the GoPro footage, I'd recommend that you leave the audio track from your main camera in place in the video timeline. GoPro's take horrible audio and by using the audio from your main camera it gives the video a more fluid and enjoyable flow from the viewer's perspective. Any decent editing software will let you trim out only the video portion of the main footage and insert the POV footage in it's place. Same goes for the slow-mo arrow footage. Lay that footage over your video track of you describing the shot and leave your voice audio there to talk the shot through. You can even put the arrow sound audio from the slow-mo clip on a second audio track to get a full shot effect while you are still talking. Again, most any editing software will let you do this.

Good job overall and congrats on a nice buck with your bow.

6. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. You need to have ambient noise in the background. Very good job though.

As far as editing software. If you know you will get serious I would look into Adobe. You can start with the basic software for $70 or so then move up to Premier Pro if you like it.