Best Self Filming Camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Brad Bever, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new camera for self filming. I currently have just a Sony handycam, and I would really like something that has more quality. What camera do you guys use to self film or what camera would you recommend? If you could send me video or stills from your camera so I can see the quality that would be awesome! Thanks

2. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any mid-level camcorder. Dont bother with DSLR for self filming...you need simple controls and auto-focus.

We run a couple Canon Vixia HFM30's.

[video=youtube_share;tjet2Hvj5NA]http://youtu.be/tjet2Hvj5NA[/video]

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My plan is to buy the Canon XA20 for filming next year. The XA20 and XA10 both are nice cameras. I have a JVC GZ HD3 now. Great camcorder in the day, but very bad in lowlight. Good Luck on your search!

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's your budget for the camera?

6. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks! awesome hunt and nice filming to go with it!

7. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    pretty much my budget is whatever, but most consumer cameras dont run more than 2,000 anyway so I guess thats my number

8. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im purchasing a Canon HF G20 this spring, pretty much any HD camera that accepts a LANC remote is a great self filming camera, unless your wanting to have a big time show or something

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Under $2000, I would say the Canon XA20. $2300, I would say the Sony PXW-X70. Both cameras are professional camcorders with professional XLR audio inputs. Both are extremely compact compared to other true professional cameras. I personally choose the PXW-X70 because of the large 1" type sensor. That gives you a more DSLR feel to the footage with much better depth of field control. Also, it records in a format up to 50mbps, compared to the 35mbps max on the XA20. It will also have a firmware upgrade option in 2015 to take it from an HD camcorder to a 4K camcorder.

Getting true pro quality out of such a compact camera is a huge plus for a self filming. I have been able to downsize all my gear so getting in an out of the woods is much easier now. I haven't edited much footage yet, as I have been busy with other stuff, but here's a test footage clip I threw together right after I received the camera.

http://vimeo.com/107371071

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your budget is $2000 the Canon Vixia G30 is almost the same as the XA20 just add a DM-100 mic and you are golden.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video

12. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker, how does the X70 do in low light? I would imagine quite well.....? Also are you having any trouble uploading your content from the camera to the computer? I have read some reviews and it seems people don't have access to the correct software for it? I am looking at the XA20, but like what you have to say about the X70 and like the 4K upgrade that will be available.
    By the way, what the hell is that for a snake in that video!?

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Strongly recomend the Canon XA20. The size is perfect for the self filmer and all the features it offers! I have the Canon XA10, bought it before the 20 was out. I love the camera but one day will like to upgrade to the CA20. If you watch bowhunt or die alot of us use the XA-10 and 20

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think it does pretty well in low light. As good, if not better than the XA20. I'm using Adobe Premier Pro Creative Cloud and I have no trouble bringing the files right from the card into Premier Pro. Other software's are behind the technology and cannot import he .MXF files from the XAVC codec. This is a temporary problem that will be solved by software updates sooner than later from each software developer.

I think it's a black rat snake. That's the only thing I could come up with.

15. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker and Caleb, those vids are nice!

I assume both cams accepts a remote/zoom controller?

16. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    The Sony does (SORTA) Sony no longer uses the standard Lanc plug, they have decided to use their new Multi port which is a port will support lanc controls, or other accessories. As of right now, there's not a lot of options out there with the multi port. Sony does make a zoom remote that plugs in directly, but it doesn't have a focus function and I also don't believe it is variable zoom speed. I'm sure there are more options in the works, just not out yet. You can still use a Lanc. I'm using a Varizoom Stealth with mine. It requires two adapter cables. A mulit port to A/V R cable and an A/V R cable to the 2.5mm Lanc plug. A bit of a PITA, but I think the other options on the camera made it worth dealing with the adapters.

Here's a picture showing how I dealt with the cables. It actually turned out nice.
    [​IMG]

17. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that's what I have to do with my sony, just one adapter. My buddies new sony handycam, 2 adapters just like yours.

But, at least it can be done. A remote is a must for me.

18. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first fall with a LANC remote and wow I wish I had gotten one sooner!!

I am having a hard time deciding between the XA20 and the X70 Sony.. I like the idea of being able to upgrade the X70 to 4K... What to do..... What to do.....

19. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now, the Canon XA20 and the Sony X70 are the two that are at the top of the heap for the money. I run the XA20 and love it. I have not put my hands on the X70, but by just reading on paper and trusting Skywalker (who ran an XA10 if I am not mistaken), I would give the edge to the X70. But really you cannot go wrong with either camera.

One of the biggest things in a self filming camera that you will need is the LanC input. Taking the controls away from the camera and putting them in a location where on hand can operate the basic controls and pan the camera as needed is a life saver. I wouldn't want to video without LanC input.

Here is my channel. Most anything in the past year and a half on my channel was filmed on an XA20.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3gc_CXTt9PD3-tLYGQf3Nw

20. Hunt4jesus

Hunt4jesus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased the x70 and sony has a tripod that comes with its own controller. It works on the x70. Now it detaches and to use on a tree arm you either hold it or tape it to it. I am hunting mostly ground so it works.
    I love the cam and it does great. I prolly should of went little cheaper with a hf g30 or xa 10 but decided re sale on this would be better. I have only actually filmed 20 mins with it. So at end of season I might looked to trade for a smaller cam and cash. This is if I can't justify keeping it.