good filming set up

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by jordanharley15, Nov 9, 2014.

1. jordanharley15

jordanharley15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    whats some of you guys filming set up? would like to try filming my hunts this year and im wondering how i should begin/start out. thanks

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Jordan, where in NC are you from? I'm from Fuquay, maybe 15 minutes south of Raleigh.

Anyways, this is my first year filming also. I have a Canon VIXIA HF R30 (your average consumer handycam) mounted on a Velbon fluid head and a Muddy Outfitter arm. I really like it and although it doesn't have all of the features that a higher dollar camera would, I went with this to find out if it's something I really wanted to get into; looks like I'll be upgrading for next season.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start out with what you have and if you dont have anything start cheap. Get a used camera for about 200 bucks and a long bow holder and the muddy micro camera mount and a camo pack from walmart to hold it. Filming can be great but can also be fustrating so start small to see if you like and and upgrade from there. If you decided to upgrade you can use the first setup for a secondary angle so no lose. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't agree more with what has already been said. This is my first year self filming and I did just that...started small. Did not know how I would take to filming and didn't want to spend a ton of money on it before I knew weather or not this was something I was going to continue to do and give my all. Well I still ended up spending more than I wanted to originally, but that usually happens with me lol. I am in the same situation as Big Phil now and I am hooked and I absolutely love it. Just want to continue to get better and better at it now. I will now be upgrading cameras and equipment when I feel it feasible as this is not a cheap aspect of an already expensive sport!

I went to campbells camera and checked out there packages that they offer and then based my own type of package off of theirs. Added things here and subtracted things there. Here is what I went with for my first rig/starter package for filming.

Canon VIXIA HFR400 Camera
    Campbells Cameras Wrap Around Accessory Bracket
    Audio Technica PRO-24CM Shotgun Mic w/ rabbit fur windscreen
    Audio Technica PRO-88W Wireless Lavalier Mic
    Beachtek MCC-2 2-Channel Audio Adapter and Bracket
    Lone Wolf Strong Arm Camera Arm w/ additional arm extension
    Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
    32 LED Light
    Step Up Ring 43-52MM
    52MM Lens Hood
    52MM UV Filter

[​IMG]

Good luck!!!

5. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    about how much did that setup run you vs going with the package from campbells?

6. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Sent you a PM with the breakdown...hope it helps!

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Neighbor! I have a JVC Everio GZ-HD3(Not good in low-light) I use a Lone Wolf Camera arm with an extra extension with a Manfrotto 700 RC2 Fluid head. I have a Sony 20 MP Digital camera and tripod to take Hero Shots since I hunt alone. I will be upgrading to the Canon XA20 in a few months with a 3rd Arm tree arm.

8. jordanharley15

jordanharley15 Newb

Dislikes Received:

9. jordanharley15

jordanharley15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks everyone. i appreciate all the responds. im going to fish around and start cheap and see how i like it thanks again.

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Great responses from
    Everyone. I went with the Canon XA10 audio technia shotgun mic, windscreen! Upgraded to 4 hr batterie, using manfroto701 fluid head and varizoom controller! I have wireless audio technia mics (dont use much) and 3 home made aluminum cam arms!
    View attachment 54646

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jordanharley15

jordanharley15 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thehardwood913 what is the point of the shotgun mic? Thanks again but I'm new to this so just taking it step by step.

12. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Just in attempts to have a higher sound quality....there is a difference between shotgun mics and stereo mics though...mine is actually a stereo mic. Captures sounds from various angles vs the shotgun mic that blocks sound from behind the mic and the sides so what your point it at is the best sound it will pick up. If I am wrong someone please correct me, but I am pretty sure thats how they both work.

13. EliteGame530

EliteGame530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd also like to know what price range this setup is in if you don't mind sharing with me too. Thanks

14. whitecotton03

whitecotton03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering how you added the lens hood to the camera without having threads to screw it on

15. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Was a Mod I did, since the camera didn't accept a lens hood....Measured the diameter of the lens ring then I took a suitable step up ring, in my case was a 43MM-52MM...sanded down the threads and then epoxied it to the ring around the lens.Let that sit over night for good bond and then screwed on the 52MM UV Filter then the 52MM lens hood. Was pretty easy/quick to do and it came out perfect...like it came from Canon that way, give it a try! Good luck!

16. calbow

calbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice in starting slow and seeing if you like to film. I enjoy watching the hunts and it helped last turkey season in determining shot placement on my Jake. I am still learning how to film. This is my second year filming turkeys and will be my third year filming deer/ elk. I started with a panasonic HDC-SD60 mounted on a Gorilla tree arm which worked fine for the first year and is now a second angle camera. I was very lucky in my hunting buddy has all the gear and I became his cameraman on two elk hunts. Then we would switch when I was the shooter. He has a XA-10 with a shotgun mike and varizoom and a lone wolf tree arm with a fluid head attached. It is a very nice set up but there is a cost. I get most of my gear from Campbells Cameras, B&H, Amazon and ebay. I also asked others what they had and would recommend so as not to get gear that i would have to replace right away.

I have learned when getting equipment get the best you can afford at the best price you can. There are several other options out there which are excellent choices, these were my picks:

Canon XA-20 wanted the extra zoom. We were using our HD cameras like my Panasonic HDC-SD60 for the extra zoom on distance shots.
    Muddy Tree Arm there are several quality arms out there I just got a great deal. get one that has multiple adjustment angles.
    Audio-Technica AT875R shotgun mic get a wind muff (dead cat) to help with wind noise like those at B&H or Campbell's they make ones designed for your mic
    Extra batteries - watch out and get those that will work for you camera read the reviews on Amazon it helps.
    Siennheiser ew 100 G3 remote mic set up I plan on having the shooter mic'd this year, some like this others don't.
    Varizoom remote control mounted on the Manfrotto 701 Fluid head arm or the Manfrotto 502 fluid head arm when mounted on a tripod filming out of a ground blind.
    Manfrotto tripod get a sturdy one that will last good investment.
    head phones to check sound levels...i tried ear buds but did not get very good results
    Vpro tree arm adaptor for your tripod to put your tree arm on ( trying this out will let you know how it turns out) can only get this from Campbells as far as I can tell. it only works with theMuddy tree arm or others that have the same diameter post.
    lense cleaning kit
    epic cam for second angle ... gopro or SJCam or others work fine too we are getting the SJCAM 4000
    and we both have Canon DSLR cameras for hero shots
    stic-n-pic mounts for second angle cameras
    can use your trail cam like our stealth cam G42's to get second angle shots mounted on the portable stic-n-pic's

hope this helps and it was fun to write all this down hope my wife does not see this...lol

Remember to make it fun and you will have memories for a lifetime.

Have fun! BHOD!