Video Converter

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by RamboRinn, Oct 23, 2014.

1. RamboRinn

RamboRinn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently purchased a Sony PXW-X70, I edit with both Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro X. Do I need a video converter to get the footage off my card. With the Canon XA10 I used they were all .mov files and I never had a problem... Google has a bunch of different converters I can buy, but is this the answer? If it is what converter do you recommend? I this isnt the answer then the question is how do I get my .mxf files or XAVC video files to a state that I can edit.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I answered your PM, but I'll put my answer here in case anyone else has the question.

To my knowledge, at this time, Adobe Premier Pro Creative Cloud is the only software that will import XAVC-L (.mxf) files without converting them first. This will change in the near future as other software companies get their software up to date.

I believe Sony's Content Browser (free download comes with the X70) will allow you to convert the .MXF files to another format that you can import into Final Cut, Vegas, and other software. From my understanding, you have to do it one clip at a time so it can be pretty tedious.

This issue will only be a short term problem, as this is a brand new codec and support is just around the corner.