New to Filming!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Daryl Bell, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am completely new to filming hunts, I'm trying to get advice on what cameras to get and what accessories are necessary. Thanks in advance

2. GregCharest

GregCharest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So some questions for you.
    How serious do you want to get?
    What is your budget?

3. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want a great camera for the price the go pro black series is awesome. Takes incredible hd video it's nice and small so you can put it right on your bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to spend a crazy amount, I have been looking at the Sony Handycams, they seem pretty nice. Like I said I'm just starting out so I don't want to spend a crazy amount on a camera just yet. I do want to be able to get good footage though. The go pros don't zoom though do they?

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's some advice. If you are going for a handycam type camera, make sure that it will accept a shotgun mic. Video is worthless without quality, usable audio. Also, will will want to make sure it has a LANC port. That will allow you to remotely operate that zoom, focus, and record without touching the camera. So, here's a list you need to consider:

Camera (honestly I can't make a recommendation on a handycam)
    LANC remote like a Varizoom Stealth
    Shotgun mic like Rode video Mic
    Tree arm(lots of options, but maybe look at the Muddy Outfitter tree arm)
    Fluid head. Manfrotto 700RC2 would be good for a handycam

On top of that, you will need to have some type of editing software. Lots of choices out there. Some are cheap, some are not. I've used Cyber Director and it works fine. Right now, I'm using Adobe Premier Pro.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, a GoPro is awesome for lots of things but you cannot zoom with them. They work great for a second angle, or to mount to your bow. For real usable footage though, they are best used as a supplement to your regular camera.

7. Tree Stand Whacker

Tree Stand Whacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year hunting and I bought a package off ebay for around 400 bucks. It came with the canon vixia hr500, spare batteries and chargers, a video camera case, a tripod, a shotgun mic, a led light attachment with the light, some sd cards and a cleaning kit. I love it for the money. It takes pretty good quality video for the price. Here is the link to my first video attached to it. The quality of the video doesn't do the camera justice even on the HD setting. I am not sure why but I lost some quality on the upload to youtube so I am not sure if I did something wrong on the upload. But any way heres the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNbqoYySRI

I think my set up will get the job done for this year. I will be looking to upgrade cameras sooner or later and get some POV cameras. So far this whole filming thing has been a blast as long as a big challenge. Way harder to kill a deer with a bow when you are trying to film yourself. I should have another video up soon. Stay tuned and subscribe to the Pointed Outdoors youtube channel and facebook page!

8. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what Skywalker has said. I am new to filming also and I went with a handy cam type camera to start off. The only thing is mine does not have a LANC input so no remote for me. This is the ONLY thing I wish I had. Other than that it does the trick and is small/compact and lightweight. I went with the Canon VIXIA HFR400 and if the remote option isn't something you feel could make it or break it for ya then check it out. Think I paid around $300 for it and have seen it lately for even cheaper prices. It does accept a shotgun mic and you obviously dont have to go with as many accessories as I did to keep cost down. Good luck!

Here is a pic of my rigg, Canon VIXIA HFR 400, Audio Technica Shotgun Mic, Audi Technica Wireless Lav Mic, Beachtek MCC-2 2-Channel Audio Adapter and Bracket, and a Campbells Camera's Wrap Around Mount sitting on a Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys, im doing a lot of looking. I will let y'all know what I come up with!

10. Tree Stand Whacker

Dislikes Received:
    where did you get your attachments from? I am looking to upgrade some of my attachments on my canon vixia hr500

11. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My stuff is not professional. I use a Handy Cam and a GoPro Balck. Mostly the Handy Cam. If you go to my Channel you can see what you get with the Handy Cam. Some of those old videos are from VHS, the newer stuff is the Handy Cam

12. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot anything while taping with my go pro yet but i have used it for a lot for my car with mounts and the best camera i have owned. I currently use a head mount but just bought a sportsman's mount that go pro sells now for my bow and shot gun. Cant go wrong with a go pro!

13. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shopped around for the best deals on all of my accessories. Some I got from Campbell Cameras, some I got from B&H, and some I got from Amazon and Ebay. If you look around enough you can find everything for a fairly discounted price.

14. Tree Stand Whacker

Dislikes Received:
  15. Tree Stand Whacker

Dislikes Received:
    This may sound like a stupid question. But what is the thing that wraps around like the lens of the camera called? and what purpose does it serve. I see it on all the more professional handi cams. but what is it called and what is it meant for?

16. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lens hood, helps shield the lens from glare. There may be more to it then that as well.

17. GregCharest

GregCharest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes there can sometimes be.
    Some of the lens hood can hold filters, eg. Polarizing or UV.