Videoing with a Canon Rebel t3i

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by JakeD, Sep 18, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody videod with a Canon Rebel t3i? I'm planning on using it tomorrow to video with. I'm just wondering what settings or lens you would recommend for video mode. I have a 70-300 mm lens and a 18-55 mm lens. The bigger lens seems to do well, but in the video I can hear the lens trying to adjust when it is in auto focus. Anybody have some ideas on what I should do? Maybe just use the manual focus? Thanks.

2. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Nikon d5300. I do not ever use the auto focus because it will focus on items you do not want it to. It is better to use the manual focus

3. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The t3i will not auto focus in video mode so you'll have to use manual focus. It will be a bit of a challenge for self filming with that specific camera.

4. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use it and i love it. Like others have said its a lil hard to self film but for still shots and anything else its great. I only use manual focus while out in the field. It will take a while to learn but you also have a lot of down time in the stand to play around with it.

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been playing around with it quite a bit lately. I've switched to only using manual focus, so that hasn't been too bad. I actually like it better so far. For the guys that use it, what kind of settings do you use in video mode?

6. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use all your manual setting while you are filming. You have to play with it a lot to figure out what settings to run in different light. It is the same as taking a picture in manual settings for the most part. I am not super advance but this is what usually works for me. I try to never go over an 800 ISO because it will start to get grainy. I always try to keep my f stop at 3.5 or what your lens goes down too, it gives it a higher depth of field and will give you more of that cinematic look that you see. Then run your shutter at whatever is necessary for your lighting you have at the time of filming. When you get all the settings down and working together your footage will look nice crisp and clear with good color. Again I am not very advanced or anything so if I'm wrong about anything hopefully someone will correct me, but that is just what i do when i am in the field filming.

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys!