Speaking of wish lists...

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by MGH_PA, Aug 29, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Let's add the 300mmf4 with 1.4x TC or the 100-400mm to my list. 200mm doesn't cut it. Caught this guy feeding when I was out for a drive yesterday evening. Should be a nice one in a year or two.

[​IMG]

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I didn't include lenses because my lens list is too long and expensive!

I've been borrowing my dad's 100-400mm Canon and man is that nice. I'm thinking about picking up a big tele next year. Looking at the Tamron 150-600mm or Sigma's 50-500mm. I know that they aren't the best glass, but I'm also not ready to be dropping $3k-8k on a lens.

Another one on the list is Sigma's 18-35mm 1.8. I like that you don't lose any speed when you zoom. I'll probably get a fast 50mm too.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't discount the quality of the Sigma 50-500. It tests out very good in comparison to some of the higher end lenses. It's main issue is that it's fairly slow at F4.5/6.3. Not great for low light due to the speed, but if produces outstanding images in more ideal situation. It also does really well with video on my A57, it's nice an quiet enough you don't pick up the autofocus motor much at all.

I don't believe Tamron has a 100-500, they have a 200-500 or then new 150-600. I've had my hands on the 150-600 and it's a pretty nice lens, but I think the Sigma beats it hands down. The ability to get as wide as 50 while being able to shoot telephoto at a seconds notice really sets the Sigma 50-500 apart from the competition. It's truly a lens that you can put on your camera and get just about any shot you want without having to change lenses all the time. Right now we have the 50-500 on my camera and a Sigma 10-20mm on my wifes camera. With that combo we can get just about any shot we want. She loves shooting wide angle landscapes and I am more into wildlife photography. I need to find some time to process up some of my pictures from our vacation out to Colorado, but we were able to get some pretty neat shots.

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to have a really fast telephoto and a couple super fast primes. I have a 50mm 1.7 which is a good lens, but sometimes I'd like a little wider, so maybe a 35. 50 is a little too narrow on an APS-C sensor sometimes.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The slowness of all of the aforementioned telephoto lenses are the main reason the 300mmf4 with the 1.4x TC looks the most ideal for what shoot in the field. The 100-400 is a bit antiquated and it covers half of the range I already have, so not sure it's necessary.

Sigma and Tamron suffer from QC issues, Sigma less than Tamron. My Sigma 17-50f2.8 has been solid, though.

Fitz, do yourself a favor an add the nifty fifty. For the price for a f1.8 prime, it can't be beat.

I hate to plug another site, but if you check out Ohiobuck's photos over on AT in the photography section, you will see some great shots with the 300mm/1.4x TC combo.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the 150-600 is the one I was thinking of. I've been looking at so many lenses my brain is a bit fried :tu:

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I got to handle one and it just seems like the build quality and ruggedness wasn't quite up to that of the Sigma. They didn't have a Sony version out yet, so I didn't get a change to put it on my camera and shoot with it though. Tamron is hosting this thing they call a "tailgate" tour that we went to in Kansas City. It was a pretty neat deal where they put on several informational sessions about the different aspects of photography and how to get better photos. They had every lens they make in each of the different mounts there for us to tryout on our cameras.

8. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would love a good telephoto lens but still can't grasp spending all that money on a lens. Plus sony EMount hasn't been around long enough to have much of a used market. Did just pick up a 55-210 for a super discounted price for the NEX ( that's if the deal wasn't to good to be true and it actually comes in the mail).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk