Why do you film?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by tfarah22, Aug 28, 2014.

1. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed that a lot more people are getting into filiming their own hunts. I was wondering what your modivation for getting into filming is? Are you trying to get on a prostaff? You just enjoy doing it?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the challenge. Memories are great but can become clouded in the heat of things. If I shoot an animal I can now review the footage an tell where the hit is. Or at least the proximity. Also sometimes just getting an animal on video is reward enough for me. The ability to share the video is awesome too.

The downside is messing with a camera has caused me to miss some opportunities but I usually get them on film at least. :tu:

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Number one reason I began to film was to document the shot so I could make a more informed decision about how to track the animal. I had a couple situations where I made a shot, but because it happens so fast, I just wasn't sure what kind of shot I made. It lead to me making mistakes and not recovering the deer.
    Since that time, it has become another "challenge." Not only am I bow hunting, I'm also self-filming so I'm constantly challenging myself. I have progressed as a hunter and a videographer.
    I have no expectations of getting on any type of "prostaff" because I film. I am however, part of a group that provide footage to a company that has produced 3 DVD's and are working on a local television show.

4. wack-a-doo

wack-a-doo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Filming for me is a really cool way to share my hunt with others and keeps memories fresh.

5. WhitetailAddict14

WhitetailAddict14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got started because I love hunting and the outdoors, and taking video of my experiences allows me to look back and relive them during the offseason. Now it's kind of turned into a way for me to be creative and share it with others.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I film because of the challenge of it. Also so I can have the hunts to show for years to come. Nothing like being able to relive it all over again.

7. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    IMO If you film for any other reason that the enjoyment of being able to share it with others and relive the hunts, you won't do it for very long or every time you hunt. It adds to the list of things that can go wrong, will cost you multiple opportunities at killing deer, and at times can be tedious. I think anyone who has filmed for awhile will tell you, there are times it would be nice to just go out and hunt and not have to worry about the camera gear. But when it all comes together, the sense of accomplishment it just that much better.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just enjoy it.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really enjoy it because it's a challenge to self film and it's really fun to go back and rewatch my hunts. It's also nice to show others who can relive the excitement with me. Long term I would love love love to quit my job and film others and self film my own hunts to produce my own Web show or help someone else with their show.

10. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses guys.

11. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I first got the itch way back in the mid 1980's when VHS cameras became available. Hunting videos were in their infancy at that time.
    I posted some of my vintage early hunting video attempts on my channel.

I would say Youtube reignited the flame for me after seeing the Leatherwoods crew posting up their videos

12. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started primarily to record my daughters' hunts. Me being the obsessive compulsive type, I blew that up into needing everything under the sun in terms of equipment. From there it snowballed out of control.

As to now ... I do it because I like the added challenge of self video. Trying to get the animal, the camera, and the bow all on the same page with no outside help is the ultimate thrill for me.

13. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the challenge added filming and documenting and editing all the footage!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

14. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple reason:

1: (most important to me) Memories. Simply remembering my experiences in the field are great, but being able to go back and visually being able to re-live THAT moment...priceless. I was able to take my largest buck, and also have it be my first deer, on film last year, and while the the footage quality is grainy, being able to go back and watch that again and again i am instantly back in that tree on that day and re-living the hunt. Being stationed in Florida, and all of my hunting buddies and family being in Virginia, i am able to edit up my hunts and share it with them.

2: Filming my hunts is something i am interested in doing at a more professional level. Since i began filming i have been able to land some great pro-staff opportunities that i am thrilled with and gained access to different opportunities that coincide with my goals i have set for myself.

What it boils down to is hunting is a passion for me as it is to us all, filming allows me to be able to re-live that moment of success, and the entire hunt, over and over while sharing it with friends and family. Anything that comes as a result is a bonus that i am grateful for. Hunt on brothers, and dont forget to Pin 'Em & Stick 'Em this fall!