Canon Vixia G20

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DerekDahl, Jul 22, 2014.

1. DerekDahl

DerekDahl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

Been wanting to film my hunts for a few years now and I've finally got the money to buy a decent camera. Ive been looking on campbell cameras website and I'm thinking about getting the Canon G20.

What're your opinions on the camera? And are there any other good websites like Campbell's to check out?

Thanks!

2. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders is a great place. You can find better prices the Campbell's. Best Buy has the G20 near me for less then $900.

As for the G20, I don't have any personal first hand experience with it but everything I see and read about the G series is all good stuff. I will be getting the G30 as I want the 20x zoom like my GL2 I use now has.

3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy from B&H. You will get better prices and better service.

The G20 is a nice camera. The G30 is going to give you a longer zoom, more recording format options, better AF tracking, and newer technology. The G30 is basically an XA20 without the XLR inputs. I have owned the XA20 for a year now and it is an amazing camera. If the XLR inputs are not a needed, then my suggestion is going with the G30 for the benefits over the G20. But the G20 will still shoot some great video as well.

4. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    DEC hit the nail on the head, great advice from start to finish...

5. DerekDahl

DerekDahl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna go check out B&H.

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the G20 and it is a great camera, but like mentioned above 20x times zoom is a lot nicer. That is really my only complaint with this camera. 10x zoom just isnt enough for me if there out past 75 yards and I hunt a lot of AG fields. DEC covered pretty much it all and from what I have seen he has a really good knowledge with cameras. My advice would be to save up a little bit more and get the G30 at least or if you can fit it into your budget the XA20