Xa30

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Roughtimber, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Roughtimber

Roughtimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have or thinking about getting the new Canon xa30? I've been really on the fence about getting the Sony pxw-x70 or the new xa30.

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not enough improvements over my XA20.

Still no 4k which blows my mind. I was not a 4k proponent until I started playing with 4k on a co-worker's Sony. The frame grab images are incredible and the ability to use the extreme resolution in a 720 or 1080 work flow is outstanding.

I am waiting on the XA series to go to 4k before I upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was disappointed with the lack of 4K upgrade as well. Canon is falling way behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Roughtimber

Roughtimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Derek what type of Sony were you using?

5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Canon is doing the samething they did when I was in Photography...They are letting Nikon take the lead in Still Cameras...Now it looks like there going to let someone else have the Video Market as well...That way they can sell there Money Maker...printers....
    LOL

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a co-worker who runs a Sony FDR-AX33, it is about a $1,000 camera. He shoots video of his hunts in 4k. The daylight footage is amazing and the stills that he pulls are incredible. Now that being said, there is a ton that I do not like about the camera for professional use. But for a small consumer camera it is a heck of a nice camera.

If I was going to buy a Sony it would be a PXW-X70 ($2,000).

Being a Canon guy though I will sit on my XA20 until either something significantly better from Canon is introduced or they finally make the move to 4K in this form factor of a camera.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The ability to record in 4k is a huge advantage that Canon seems to be missing. The ability to take the 4K output and down convert and crop into a 1080 or 720 timeline offers some tremendous advantages to the editor. It will give you the ability to increase the amount of "zoom" greatly without any loss in quality. It will give the flexibility to add pans and tilts to the footage after the fact, or allow you to be zoomed in and "follow" your deer even if the camera didn't after the shot. The ability to film in 4K at a wider angle makes it much easier to film your hunts and get the footage you are looking for, especially if you are self filming. The only real disadvantage I can think of for filming in 4K is that you have slightly less low light capability, but from my experimenting, there's not that much difference(at least on my PXW-X70).

I started filming in 4K about halfway through this season. My kill was shot in 4K. I haven't had a chance to sit down and edit it all out because I have lots to learn about how do edit in 4K, but it's all out there. I just need time to take it all in.

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So if a person (Myself) was going to get a big boy camera.....would you go with the new XA30...or go with the older model XA20....Just started filming a little last year with a small canon handheld and a Go Pro Silver...the Go Pro Silver is KILLER for up close work...works fantastic.....
    Thanks
    Creeks

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my personal opinion, neither. They are both excellent cameras, but they are pretty expensive for what you get if you ask me. At one time, they were the cat's meow and top of the line for a "small" professional grade camera. Today, there's plenty of competition. Sony's PXW-X70 professoinal camera sells for $1999 and has an optional 4K upgrade available for it for $500. That's pretty nice that you can get the camera you need, not being forced to pay for 4K if you don't need it. Another option, and priced right, is the JVC JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM. At $1295, it blows all others out of the water for price. I can't personally vouch for it as I've never used it, but it is a strong competitor in my opinion and you're talking about almost half the price of the PXW-X70 with 4K and $500 less than the XA20, $700 less than the XA30, yet it has 4K capabilities. Even if you aren't interested in the 4K capabilities, it's still priced really well. I know one member of this forum has purchased one, maybe he can chime in on his thoughts on the camera.

Here's a link.
    JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM Compact Professional Camcorder GY-HM170UA

10. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everything Skywalker said is spot on.

I love my XA20, but I bought it as a pre-order when they were first introduced. At the time it was a fair deal to pay $2200 for the camera given what else was available. However by today's standards if it is selling for much over $1,000 new that is too much IMO.

If I was playing from a blank slate today I'd give that JVC a hard look but probably end up with the Sony PXW-X70 just because I trust the Sony name.

Canon is WAY behind in the industry right now.

That being said, if you forced me to choose an XA20 or XA30, I'd shop hard and get a good deal on the XA20 and put the money saved into accessories. There just isn't any significant benefits in the XA30.

11. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased the JVC cam and it is an excellent camera for the price. It produces stellar video in good light. However, in low light, the footage is very grainy. I had the canon g30 before this camera and it did much better in low light. I also wish it had more than 12x optical in 4K mode, but in the end it doesn't really matter because you can crop in during post and not lose any quality. For $1250 it's the best deal out there right now for a true professional 4K camera

12. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So if a person was just staring out with this Videoing hunts, and wanted to get a quality camera to do it....You would for sure recommend the JVC.....
    Also, can you hook a remote up to it to control all your zoom, focus, etc.....
    and when you say LOW LIGHT...is that an hour before dark, is that early morning, 15 mins before sunrise etc...could you clarify please....
    Thanks for your time
    Creeks

13. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you can hook a remote up to it. It starts getting grainy about the last 20 minutes of light. For someone just starting out, I would recommend a canon Hf g30. If you pick up a refurbished one from canon when they have a sale you would save around $400 as well

14. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brother... Might be what I do.... Thanks for your help
    Creeks

15. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! Another camera to look at is the Sony FDR ax100. Same style cam as the G30, except it shoots 4K and has a much bigger sensor for better low light shooting. Can probably pick up a lightly used one for $1200

16. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That Sony looks like a killer set up.......Where would be a good place to look for a slightly used one...

17. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    eBay or Best Buy open box.

18. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brother