Is it worth it.....Am I Crazy!! to buy or not to buy!!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Creeks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to justify spending 1300.00 on a Canon G40 just so I can film hunts....Am I crazy or what? Is it worth it, what am I going to do with the videos...Just watch them...LOL....
    See where I'm going with this.....Is it something you just gotta love, or is it something that grows on you....Just can't make up my mind to pull the trigger or not....

Thinking out loud
    Creeks!

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat.... you only live once though. As long as the lights aren't gonna get turned off then why not? Plus you can capture more than hunts with it. You can film bday parties, holidays, and tons of other stuff

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, well I think only you can answer those questions and make that decision.

4. Paulmorrison

Paulmorrison BHOD ProStaff

Dislikes Received:
    You dont need the best of the best to get started. One thing that is awesome about filming hunts is every hunt you see something, if you get it on camera you get the same successful feeling as if you shot it and took trophy photos, well almost lol Be careful it can be addicting..

5. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or you could save $500 and buy a refurbished g30! They're essentially the same camera except the g40 has an "upgraded" sensor. I wouldn't pull the trigger on a g40 until there are some solid reviews and test footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going on the assumption that the G30 was a pretty good camera (from Reviews Read), and that the G40 would be at least that, with better low light abilities......Which I would think to be crucial in filming.....

Thanks
    Creeks

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt it will be that much better because both sensors are the same size. If you're looking at spending $1300 on the g40, check out the Sony ax100. It has a 1" sensor and shoots in 4K which is a HUGE advantage for someone who primarily self films. (You can stay zoomed out and then zoom or crop in during post)

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ryan, but what's the deal with all this 4K stuff, why is that better?
    Creeks

9. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To answer the OP,No i woulnd buy it but thats just me and I am on a small budget.
    I have no idea about the 4k stuff.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Imagine having 4 HD cameras at the same time. That's what 4K gives you. It has 4 times the resolution of a 1920X1080 HD Camera. So you can either get a much much sharper and detailed image in 4K, or you can video in 4K and then basically zoom or crop into the image to get what you want framed exactly how you want it. This takes some work during the editing process, but it gives the editor much more flexibility in producing quality video. It also allows a self filmer to be zoomed out more while filming. This is especially important to help get the kill shot and subsequent few seconds all on film. Trying to frame the deer then pulling your bow, aiming and releasing can be a difficult process. 4K gives you a 4 times larger frame to work with.

Here is an example of how much more you have to work with while using 4K. See how much more image area is captured by the camera. You can them zoom in in post production without loosing quality if you are outputting to 1080.
    [​IMG]

11. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh... Ok.... Thanks for that detailed explanation.. Appreciate it
    Creeks

12. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the daylight the footage would be good, bit it has a small sensor so low light footage will be terrible. And you can't hook a lanc control up to it

14. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I thought...but just wasn't sure.....If I went with the G30, how much better could the G40 be....has anyone got any footage that would share with a G30...so I could see!
    Thanks

15. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just my two cents...

If you are new to filming and don't know much about the technical stuff, like pixels, sensor size, definition, editing, crop factor, digital vs optical zoom etc... start with a good ''Entry Level'' camera. (That's what I did with photography...and after 5 years and more than 20 000 shots, I'm ready to upgrade.

If you buy too much of a camera for your level of experience, you will get frustrated and quit. If you buy a camera just because it's on sale and it's junk, you'll just end up throwing it away and waste money.

Buy the best one you can afford that will fit your realistic skills and needs.

Cheers

16. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look up wiscobowhunter on YouTube. That's my channel. All that footage is with the g30

17. Paulmorrison

Paulmorrison BHOD ProStaff

Dislikes Received:
    I run the Cannon G30 and love it heck I have heard good things about the g20 also, I think Todd Graff runs 2 g20 if I'm not mistaken. This is all from G30 DaLisa's first buck - YouTube

18. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank You Sir.....I know exactly what your talking about...I had a little photography business for 8 years...I shot with a Canon 1D Mark IV....it's a 1/3 crop 5000.00 dollar camera (at the time when I bought it)...so I know all to well about like pixels, sensor size, definition, editing, crop factor, digital vs optical zoom etc.....This Video stuff is a whole different beast...in it's own kind of way....Editing....etc...I used Photoshop and was getting pretty good at it...Now I had Power Director 13...but something about it I just didn't like....So just bought the Premier Elements....and love it...
    I just don't know what I need yet...In Photography I went through 5 cameras before I got the 1D Mark IV....
    Creeks
    Creeks

19. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks brother for showing me that Video...That's all I would need...That was great....appreciate it!....and great first buck
    Creeks!

20. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great Job Ryan.....Video, Editing, etc...all superb...Thanks for sharing....I don't believe I can go wrong with the G30 or G40...maybe jump on board the train with one of them, and then later after I learn a bit more...Upgrade...>will see...thanks again for sharing info....
    Creeks