Canon G40- Rode Video Micro Question

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Trevor TFO, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have a Canon g40 that I recently purchased. I was using my buddies Rode VideoMicro mic on my camera about a month ago, I was just screwing around with the camera and mic in the yard while trying to decide which mic I wanted to purchase. I decided to purchase the Rode VideoMicro.

I brought it home and put it on my g40 and it will not work, It is just a fuzzy sound when I play the clips back. I thought maybe it was my mic so I brought it to my buddies and it works on his camera?? Do I need to change anything in my settings or what? Any help is appreciated! I'd love to figure this out by Saturday!!

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same mic on my G30. Didn't have to make any adjustments, I just plugged in and starting using it.

Maybe you have a problem with your mic plug on the cam?

3. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I was thinking too, I'm gonna go get it checked out tomorrow.

4. carolinagreenhead

carolinagreenhead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the G30 w/ the same mic. If I remember correctly I think there are some settings in the cameras menu that you need to adjust to actually turn on the mic within the camera. This link doesn't talk about any internal settings so I could be wrong but maybe this will help anyway. This is for the G30 btw, the G40 shouldn't be that much different.

https://system.netsuite.com/core/me...promocode=&promocodeaction=overwrite&gc=clear

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any other feeback on the G40. I am using a jvc now but the G40 is my sighs for an upgrade. I will hate to give up the 60x digital zoom I have, I do think the g40 manual focus ring will make a big deal for me. My camera (in tree stands) is always focusin in/out as tree limbs shake in front of it.

6. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the Rode videomic pro and the Rodelink filmmakers kit [wireless mic] and I'm using them on a cannon hfg20. They both have their own power source which i think you need on the smaller video cameras. I'm still experimenting with the audio levels looking for the right levels. I tested the Wireless mic today. I left the camera rolling in the treestand and walked out to about 85yds. in the timber It worked fantastic. It was like I was right in front of the cam as far as the audio feed. The video mic pro I'm still testing levels. I think a cam audio setting of 50db with the mic set to 20+db may be the ticket I'm looking for.I'll keep ya'll posted. Or feel free to throw in your input ifin your using these products. Lotsa you tube video's on both of these products. Videomic pro 229.99…..Rodelink filmmakers kit 399.99

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016