Cannon Vixia hf g20 or g30 durability, temperature and rain

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by dfal, Jan 11, 2016.

1. dfal

dfal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I see online it says operating temperatures are 23 degrees to 113 for the g30. The whole second bow season in the U.P. is usually around 23 or lower (except for this year). So my question is what would cold temperatures around 0 degrees do to this camera/ can it still withstand it, or is there on that will? Also what do you guys do about rain or snow and having the camera out? Thanks

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honesty, temperature is not nearly as important today with solid state memory cameras than it was with tape based cameras. The biggest issue I have ran into during extremely cold weather was that the LCD screen was very slow to react to movement. Kinda in slow-mo. That doesn't affect the recording, just the screen that you are viewing. The other typical issue is shortened battery life. The colder it is and the longer the batteries are exposed to those temps, the shorter their charge will last. Li-Ion batteries are way better than other batteries in this instance, but I can still tell a big difference in battery life. This can be countered by keeping the batteries in a warmer area like your pocket. You can also use a hot hands to help keep the temps up on the batteries not in use.
    I don't run a canon any more, but when I ran my XHA1s, I had a few issues with low temps and the camera not working properly but that was pretty much always a tape issue. The only issue I have had with my Sony PXW-X70 was an error message about my Multi port not working property, that is where my LANC controller plugs in. When I looked at it, there was moisture on the contacts. My assumption was from condensation. I let it sit for a little while and it dried out and went back to working properly.

3. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just filmed my Ohio hunt a couple weeks ago. Temps where low 20s with winds being 20mph gusting up towards 40mph. Everything performed great on the cannon hf g20. For rain and snow recommend a rain cover. If your worried about the cold can also put some hot hands in the rain cover to help keep things warm.