Which Camera?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by anthonyzink, Dec 29, 2016.

1. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For any of my camera savvy guys on here. Which camera would you choose? I'm looking at the Canon 5i or the Nikon D5500. I have a Canon G20 but I'm looking for another camera to film with and I'm interested in also taking pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like the canon personally but thats because its what i am familiar with.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a T3i and love it.

Between the two, if you can get them for the exact same price, the Nikon is more of a camera and offers better Dynamic Range, Battery Life, Built in Wifi, Color Depth and well it's a newer camera really.

The Canon does have faster Raw Shooting speeds though.

Personally both will perform as good as the handler I'd bet, but if money were no option or priced similar I'm grabbing the Nikon.

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a Ford/Chevy debate. You really need to decide which brand you want to commit to first. Once you jump into either Canon or Nikon, then you commit to a certain extent for the long haul. First both brands are excellent, but both brands handle and function differently. It is difficult to transition from brand to brand. A good friend of mine is a professional photo journalist and even he struggles with this daily as he prefers Canon for his personal use, but is forced to use Nikon by his employer. Personally, after shooting Canon DSLR's for years, a Nikon in my hand is very difficult to use. The same applies if you are a Nikon user, going to a Canon is tough. Then there is all the after market lenses and other gear. Once you jump in to buying lenses you are pretty much married to the brand platform. Not that you cannot sell and change, you can, but it is tough and expensive.

Regarding the two cameras you listed, you really need to put them in hand and see what suits your feel and functional needs vs your budget. I cannot tell you a lot about those two cameras in particular, but I would advise you to do your homework. Again, what feels right in your hand and feels right intuitively in how it functions will play a huge roll in which brand you roll with.

That being said, you might get your video footage to match up better between the Canon DSLR and your Canon G20. Not that you cannot make the Nikon colors and feel match the G20, it just might be easier with the Canon.