Bad weather filming?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by dfal, Sep 26, 2016.

1. dfal

dfal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the canon hf r600 and it states it shouldn't be operated under 23 degrees. I am wondering..

1.) Will single digit temperatures or colder damage the camera?

2.) What do you guys do in the rain? Do you have some type of rain guard or are the cameras somewhat rain resistant?

Thanks!

2. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We've never had any trouble filming in cold weather other than the batteries dying early. As far as filming in the rain, if we know it will be raining hard we hunt out of a blind.

3. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On my previous camera I had a waterproof cover for it. I still have the cover after selling the camera but my new camera is smaller so it is too large for this camera. I want to find one that fits but for now I am making one. I will more likely film out of a blind if it is raining though.

As for cold temps; Batteries here too have been the only issue. I buy the highest mAh capacity made for my camera. Also, have at least two batteries. Keep one warm inside your jacket close to your body and swap it out with a cold one. After the cold one warms up it will regain some energy. Usually though the large cap. battery will be good all day in the cold.

4. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For filming in the rain I use a Shower Cap as a cover while not filming...

Very inexpensive and good protection.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the day when the cameras used actual tapes, you would have issues with some of the moving parts for the tape deck if it got too cold out. With these solid state cameras, it's not much of an issue. Keep your spare batteries warm by using some hot hands in your pack with the batteries. You can also strap a hot hands to your camera. I have not had any issues with my camera and have filmed down to around zero degrees.

6. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cold weather, I'll wrap hand warmers around the battery and keep the spares in a pouch with a hand warmer. If it's REALLY cold, I'll be in a blind with a heater just so I'm comfortable while trying to film.

Light rain, I'm in a blind, or else have one of those cheesy umbrellas mounted to the tree above my camera.
    heavy rain, I'm staying home and editing past hunts. Just not worth wrecking your gear.