Let's Talk DSLR's

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Rick James, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious what you guys are running for DSLR's. I'm thinking about adding one this year.

I don't anticipate getting into anything crazy, but I like the idea of having a DSLR for filming b roll footage as well as general stuff with the family, etc. I'm also planning on upgrading to an AX100 for my main video camera this year, and since I'll be losing some zoom with the video camera I like the idea of having a DSLR to film non hunting scenarios where I might want more zoom. Think velvet footage, etc.

So what are you using? What should I be considering?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am familiar with Canon and when went I grabbed a Rebel T3i and LOVE the dang thing. It is most definitely-undoubtedly-undeniably-assuredly about the lens more than the DSLR of choice IMO.

Now granted a guy like Fitz could probably take better shots and film than I could even if my lens was $1000 more than his...but within the user the better the lens the better the shots.

I finally started messing with capturing B roll with the DSLR this past season and the manual zooming/focusing is addicting once you start grabbing those epic shots like the rain drop on the tip of a leaf fall....or similar.

If I were buying today though I'd probably go with a Canon that also has auto-focus video mode option...you just never know when that could come in handy.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Canon guy. They have a few things going for them.

1-lens selection
    2-their dual-pixel auto focus for video
    3- their color science.

Now, for the beginner DSLR guy that's just looking to up their b-roll, I think the Rebel line is great (t3, t6i, etc). It gets you into the DSLR world at a low price point, yet is quite capable. Now, yesterday Canon announced a new t7i. This is going to be a quite capable camera. 1080 up to 60fps, dual pixel CMOS sensor for that great video AF, and a crap load of cross-type AF points for stills. I believe it'll sell for around $750 (body only).

This gets you into the system and will do most guys just fine. For those that like it and want more capabilities, they can upgrade to a 80D or something down the line, and keep all their lenses. (that's where you'll overtime be spending your $$ anyways)

Now, having said all that Matt, I think you should also look at the Sony mirrorless cameras like the a6300 or a6500. Since it looks like you might be running a Sony for your main camera, the coloration of your footage between the cameras will more closely match. But the biggest reason for me is their low light capability. Sony's excel there.

ISO ratings can be tricky and a bit misleading. For instance, the new Canon t7i has an ISO of up to 51200, which is all good. Double what say a 70d has. But the reality is, even though my 70d can go to 25600, I never go past ISO 1600 because the image is too noisy and for the most part, unusable. However, with my Sony a6300, I can get usable footage at ISO 12800. Even higher depending on the situation. Couple that with my 1.8 aperture Sigma and I've done post hunt interviews 10 minutes AFTER legal shooting light, without external light sources.

The Sony a6300 & a6500 will also shoot 4k which allows you to crop in post if need be.

The Sony battery life sucks, however, you can power and charge them off of USB, so any cellphone charging battery pack would work with them as well.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Truly there are a ton of options out there and things to consider, but either of those cameras will work great for most guys. The trick to any camera is to USE IT! Only through use will you truly learn what your setup can and can't do. Familiarity with your gear also helps you to quickly be able to change settings and adjust to whats happening in the field. You don't want to be trying to figure it all out when you're in the stand!

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I had a response all typed up but had a class start before I could finish. Came back, and Fitz summed it up perfectly :)

If I wasn't so vested in Canon glass, Sony would be on my list, especially for low light. The A7 series is phenomenal.

Don't forget your audio. Onboard DSLR audio is terrible. Shotgun/hotshoe at a minimum.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For sure, DSLR audio sucks. Their preamps are way underpowered. But you can still get good results with the right setup.

I run a Sigma MC-11 adapter on my Sony, so I can use most of my Canon lenses on the a6300. Like my 18-35mm 1.8 :tu:

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If I ever get serious enough with video, I'll invest in a Sony.

Also holding out for the 6d MKII release :)

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a Canon 7D and a Canon SL1. Both I use primarily for still photos. However, I do use them from time to time on video projects. I self video all of my hunts so using a DSLR is not my go to camera for video. If I was a full time camera man then I'd use a DSLR or a Sony A7 for video work. But self video is difficult enough to get right with a video camera for me to even want to use a DSLR.

For the projects that I do do on my DSLR's, good glass, ND filters, and a good microphone are all a must. The results amaze me every time.

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can I repurpose my Rode VideoMic that I'm using for my G30 on an SLR? Are they using the same 3.5mm jack?

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Sony guy. Completely invested in to the A-mount system which kinda sucks because they have kinda shifted their focus to the E-mount and mirrorless camera systems. Right now I have two Sony A57 SLT that I use, but I'm thinking about an A6500 or A6300 but I'll have to buy the expensive adapter also to allow me to use all my A-mount lenses.

12. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We use both. We have a Canon 70D, Nikon D3200 and a Nikon D5200. The Canon is hands down better than both Nikon's but was also nearly $400 more. Like other guys have said its all in the lens and your experience with the camera. We love doing night timelapses with ours. We have 3 lenses for the Canon and 2 lenses for the Nikons. None of the lens' are very expensive but we are looking to upgrade them since we run DSLR's as our main cameras. This spring I'm going to buy a JVC 4K camcorder to complement the DSLR's. Its very nice to be able to take pictures and video with the DSLR's. But self filming with them sucks. Ebay is a great place to get a good deal on a DSLR. IMO the Canon 70D with a 18-135mm lens will be plenty for what you are going to do with it.

13. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sony is my choice in dslr I'm running a a77 for b roll good camera takes great pics in auto has very big censor good low light camera and you can get glass cheaper by going with old stuff good luck with your choice

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I had a little experience with the Sony A6300 this weekend. What an awesome little camera. It's not perfect, but the quality of video and pictures we were able to get with it are mind blowing. I wish the lcd screen articulated more, but that was my only real grip. We put is on a handheld gimbal crane and got some amazing best b-roll. In buying one soon, along with the final crane.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would anyone know what would be a suggested lens for self-filming off of a DSLR? For example would a 18-55mm be just fine?

17. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on your budget. 18-55 would be good for interviews, but would most likely be too wide to get good framing of the deer. Something like the Tamron 16-300 f/3.5-6.3 would be a solid all in one choice for a low/mid priced lens($500). It's not a very fast lens, which means it needs a fair amount of light to produce a quality image. The faster the lens the better, but faster lenses get very expensive.

18. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I'm interested in self filming as a hobby. I'm looking at DSLR cameras. I like the idea of using it for photos along with filming. I don't hunt fields so I'm not too worried about getting something that will reach hundreds of yards. I'm not in a hurry so saving for a setup is OK for me.

sent from my mini hand held phone

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a preference to brand of camera? Canon, Nikon, Sony? That will make some difference as they all have some different lens options. Another thing to consider is going with a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR. A great option would be the Sony A6300 or A6500. Those cameras do very well with low light conditions, much better than most DSLR's.

I own the A6300 and if I were self filming bow hunting, my choice would most likely be the Sony 18-105mm f/4 power zoom lens. This would allow me to use a remote to zoom in and out like a traditional video camera so that I can still operate the camera with one hand and hold my bow with the other.

DEC likes this.
  20. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    The camera brand that I'm leaning towards is Canon. I'm interested in the Canon Rebel T6i at the moment.