Batteries dying in the cold

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Trevor TFO, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Late season bowhunting in Minnesota is definitely cold sometimes, I keep my 2 extra batteries for my DSLR and GoPro in my hand muff with handwarmers but I have a hard time keeping the batteries in my cameras warm enough. Say I put them in my camera at 100% then my camera sits on my arm for 45 minutes before I have to film a deer or anything else, they will work for a few minutes then die. What do you guys do to keep them from dying?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is one of the reasons I went to running my cameras off of external batteries. Longevity in the cold and to get rid of the bothersome DSLR mirror click. You can run most GoPros off a external USB battery too.

Before that I'd keep my extra batteries in my pocket and swap them out. I'd put to cold one in my other pocket and once all the fresh ones were used I'd start cycling through the partially used (re-warmmed ones). But even then I kept my DSLR on for the most part to avoid the click. I'd at least power up once every 30 minutes to check the battery level.

3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have real problems with my XA20 batteries. If it is a long sit on a cold cold day, it will burn up an extended battery, but I never run out of battery during a sit. GoPros are a different animal though. I have also gone to external batteries for GoPro use. I use the Tracer brick type of batteries. They work well. It seems like every day there are more battery options out there for all of our devices thankfully.

4. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run a Sony Ax100 and never have problems with the batteries dying mid hunt here in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk