Vixia HF R60

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by WIOutdoorPursuits, Nov 27, 2016.

1. WIOutdoorPursuits

WIOutdoorPursuits Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to filming and just ordered the Canon Vixia HF R60 for a good price. I'm worried about the controls and not being able to use a LANC remote. Not sure if I should return before opening and wait a little bit longer and see if I can get my hands on a HF G20 for a good price or if the R60 will be "good enough" for starting out?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

2. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The R60 is not LANC compatible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WIOutdoorPursuits

WIOutdoorPursuits Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know, and that is why I am having 2nd thoughts about the R60. However with being new to filming not sure if I just want to "test the waters" (R60) so to speak or "dive in head first" (g20). Budget is playing into it as well.

4. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Return it. Iv,e been filming for 3 or four years. If your self filming its dam near impossible even with a lanc controller. Go to the cannon refurbished site. They have a hfg20 for 337 bucks. I just bought a refurbished hfg30 for 5 or 600. I own a hfg20 which is a spectacular cam. I got a muddy hunter tree arm i'll let you have for 100 bucks. I bought the hfg20 for 1500 when it was just out. The hfg30 Came in from the refurbished site like brand new and iv'e used it all season with no problems. You can't tell it from a brand new 1.

5. WIOutdoorPursuits

WIOutdoorPursuits Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks drslyr, appreciate the input. Yeah I did see the refurbished hfg20 for $337 on the Canon site but they are out of stock. That is where I picked up the R60 for $112. For that price, I have been thinking I may try next year with the R60 and if I really like it I have a great 2nd angle cam at a good price and pick up the G20 or another model next year or sooner if I find one on craigslist and make a trade!! Appreciate the offer on the hunter arm, but I am going to pass.

6. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Takes a lot of dedication to carry all the extra gear in and out every day especially if your not seeing anything. I use a lone wolf climber which i also carry in and out. The combined weight of all the gear is 51lbs. I have some property in western ny. with some permanent stands which knocks off 21lbs (lone wolf weight} but a lot of times the deer patterns change a little bit and the permanent is just outa range of the deer.