Fourth Arrow Camera Arm

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This may be one of the best purchases I've made for increasing the quality of my footage. As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. I don't think there's another arm on the market that can do this on a nearly horizontal branch. I don't think I'll ever find a tree that I can't setup in from now on.

[​IMG]

2. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What did it run you?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    This is the Stiff Arm Pro, it retails for $299.00. So it's a little more expensive than the Muddy Hunter, but I feel like it is well worth the difference. I also purchased 3 additional bases to put on my most common permanent sets. This Pro version uses two very heavy duty ratchet straps, so for run and gun it would get a bit cumbersome. I am going to test it out with just one strap to see if I can use it that way for run and gun. The base really bites into the tree and there is absolutely no flex in the base or the shoulder. That's been my biggest complaint with my Muddy arm. There was always too much bounce because the base would flex and so would the arm for that matter. This arm is rated way over my setup weight, so I should really get some smooth footage out of it.

For people running a lighter setup, you can get the Stiff Arm for 159.00.

4. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think with your camera setup one ratchet around the base would suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    That's kinda what I figured too. I can't say enough how impressed I am with this arm. I can't wait to put it to use.

6. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They've caught me eye.. I picked up a HCO camera arm this offseason and I love it other than its heavy. I really like how it has 3 arm sections and it levels to ALMOST any tree. I already modified to use a silent strap so setup is quiet.

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think the most impressive part about the Fourth Arrow arms is just how simply they are designed, yet how well that design works. I love being able to leave the bases in the tree for my most common stands. Not setting a base on those morning hunts is going to be awesome.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Stiff Arm in on its way. I'm curious to see how well it handles my DSLR. :tu:

9. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Multiple bases isn't real practical for me. I have close to 40 stand setups so I prefer to pack it in each time. I feel I could rig the fourth arrow up with a silent strap as well. I'll see how the first few weeks of season go with my HCO and if don't like it I'll be purchasing a Fourth Arrow Stiff arm pro

10. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too short for me. Can't film to the offside.

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like their design concept and I think it is great that a couple younger guys started this product line up. I wish them all the success in the world and I cannot wait to see their products in the next couple years as they find ways to improve them.

For me though, I am sticking with my Muddy Hunter arm. I really looked at these though. I admit their system is more secure on a wider variety of trees. There is no way that my Muddy could mount on that branch that you show your new arm on. It is really cool. The biggest issue for me, especially as a self video guy is that their arms are too short. By comparison, the Muddy Hunter is 47" of overall reach where as the Stiff Arm Pro is 42" of overall reach. Further, the Muddy Hunter weighs 7 pounds. The Stiff Arm Pro weighs total of 9 1/2 pounds (about 8 pounds without the base if you leave it on a tree). Similar specs for the Muddy Outfitter vs the Stiff Arm ... Muddy is longer and lighter. The only one that is not heavier is the Carbon arm, but it is even shorter yet.

I have no ties to Muddy. Just sharing my thoughts. I really like what I am seeing with these Fourth Arrow arms and I cannot wait to see what the future holds. I am just not making the move yet. But I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them after a season of hunting.

12. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arm length of fourth arrow is what kept me from buying one as well. I like the length of the Lightning camera arms, but they seem to have too much bounce based one what I've seen. They're also a little on the bulky side. I'm hoping 3rd arm gets up and running again and makes their "Triple Threat" arm available

13. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am three hunts in with the carbon version of this arm. Guys who say it is a little short are spot on. I am struggling with a camera view finder on the left of my camera but I need to keep my arm on my left. The reason is my positions have shooting lanes for a right handed shooter to my front and to my left with lots of cover on my right an my left center. I would still like the camera on the right but just no long enough. (although close). So, although I did record a doe kill last Saturday, it started off bad as I lost the doe in the trees a bit as I couldn't see my view finder on my left side.

Now...that is my only complaint. When I look at everything else... I love it. In fact I bought 4 more bases (total now 9). It is a great product! I feel like, as an amateur filmer I need to keep practicing with it to make it work. I had one of the muddies and it was longer (with extension) but not nearly as smooth (bounced), efficient, portable, etc.

I think the arm is very smooth. The base is easy to install and quiet once up. The arm is light (carbon). Just a huge upgrade over the inexpensive stuff I used before. I feel like it is just on me to put my stands/cameras in places that mitigate the length issue. My set up is the carbon arm and base(s). I would say, it is a bit shorter but maybe still a great camera arm!!!

14. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Note my profile picture is a couple years old. that is not the 4th arrow. ha ha.

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've had 4 sits with the arm now. 3 in a permanent setup and one in a setup on public land. On the public land spot, I just used one straps and it was still rock solid in the tree. I honestly cannot complain about much at all with the Stiff Arm Pro. I do not feel that the arm is too short, but my arm is longer than both the Stiff Arm and the Carbon Arm. When the base is in the tree, setup of the camera arm is extremely fast. I think they could come up with something a little better than the tool they use to tighten the leveler, but it's not terrible. The arm is very smooth and there is way less bounce than my old Muddy Arm. Now I just need more deer to come around so I can get some footage. It's been slow so far this season.

16. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have more money than brains. I started with the muddy outfitter arm. Love the arm. Didn't like the reach. Then I bought the lightning tree arm . Wow 58in reach. you can even film behind you on your off side.This is the cats ***. However it is a little bulky to carry. I'm very happy with the arms operation.

Speaking of operations I just had a triple vertebrae neck fusion. I need to lighten up everything that i need to carry. Hence my recent purchase of the Fourth arrow carbon arm and a 4pack of bases. I already think i will be unhappy with the reach however i need the low weight of the carbon arm for now. I can't give a review yet cuz it hash't come for a couple more days. Hopefully it arrives before i leave for my ny. camp on fri morning. If it gets here i'll be given it a workout on a deer hunt in western ny.

17. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arm came today and I assembled 4 bases a couple different times from not being able to follow directions {one of my flaws] Anyway gottem put together, attached 1 to a tree in the yard. Love em for the ease of use after the bases are set. But I'm still not happy about the reach however not having actually used it to film yet i will withhold my criticism. Going to western ny for the wk end but it looks like heavy rain and high winds. Maybe i'll just have to have the october lockdown with my doe in the camp. If i get to try the arm i'll give a report and maybe even a lil video from my HFG30. Thats all Folks.

18. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just back from ny wk end. Just as i thought the carbon arm is just too short. I felt cramped too tightly to be able to film where and how I wanted to. We only got out sat evening and sun morning. as it was howling wind and driving rain. The rain finally ended but the wind continued the whole time 25mph +. I did some practice video with the fourth arrow arm. Love the setup and the weight and the quick setup. the negatives are way to short length Image.jpg and a little too bouncy.

19. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a kicker. Went out to hunt this morning. packed it all in. Set up in the tree pouring sweat. attached my ratchet base ,shoulder and wait a second i took the carbon arm off the pack to view my ny. footage when i got home last night and forgot to reattach the carbon arm back to the pack. carried all my filming gear a half mile and had no way to attach the cam cuz my dam arm was on the living room floor. I could hand film but could never shoot a deer.

At 730am i get a txt from a pal hunting hunting in ct. BBD. I get there with the deer cart to help him. Its about a 130 to 140in 8pt. The biggest deer he's ever shot and a great 1 for ct. We guesstimate this deer to be around 275lbs. live weight. The deers head was touching the headboard of the truck and we had to bend his feet to get them in the truck in an 8ft. bed. I'll try to post pics soon

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    In reference to your first paragraph, That sucks. I've never done that. The worst I ever did was forget my release, but I hunted the stand anyway hoping to get good footage even though I couldn't shoot.

Second Paragraph, congrats to your buddy, looking forward to the pics.

I would have liked to get a lighter arm for carrying in, but I didn't want to sacrifice the smoothness and reach. that's why I ended up ordering the Stiff Arm Pro. It's a little oversized for my setup, but I have no bounce at all and have not had any issues with the length. They may need to take a look at making the carbon arm a 3 arm system to extend the reach a little. They could shorten each arm up a little to add strength but with 3 arms they could still extend the reach.