Q for Lone Wolf Camera Arm Users.........

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Rick James, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone using the Lone Wolf camera arm? If so........anyone upgrade and mount a fluid head to it?

So I picked up a LW arm with the 3rd piece extension along with a Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head. I'm trying to find the most secure way to mount the fluid head to the arm.

There doesn't seem to be a round mounting plate welded on the arm like you see with a Muddy, etc.........and I'm finding that when I just use a 1/4x20 bolt to just mount through the arm......it will come loose and I'm all of a sudden not getting the smooth fluid head pan action, instead the whole thing is pivoting on the bolt.

Anyone else deal with this before? Suggestions?

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the LW arm with a vanguard PH32 head, I just ran the bolt that came with the arm through the bottom and into the head and torqued her down good and tight, when I loosen my pan head to swivel the camera left/right/up/down it does not move the bolt at all.

I guess if you did this and are having problems call Lone Wolf tomorrow during business hrs and ask for Jared. He may be able to help over the phone, maybe he can send you a couple washers to put in between bolt and arm and fluid head.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought of applying some removable loc-tite to the bolt also a crush washer on the bottom might help.

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did something very similar to the above. I forget the type of washers I used but they work and I also used loctite on the bolt and torqued it down very very tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Bought a 1.5" 1/4x20 stainless bolt last night along with a stainless 1/4"x1.5" fender washer. That worked great. Will likely break it down and locktite everything.

One thing I'm noticing now, is that with the arm extension........the bolt I added smacks the bolt that goes through the middle joint when it's folded up now. Bought a delrin spacer last night, and will replace the 3" bolt that's in the middle extension piece with a 3.5" bolt and see if I can buy a bit more space there so there is no interference. Would hate to have those bolt heads smack each other while filming and cause noise.

Will update once that's done in case anyone else is having the same problem.

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yea that happens to me also, never even thought about a spacer, good idea!

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sold my LW arm years ago. But here are photos of what I ran. I TIG welded an aluminum disc onto the end of the arm to serve as a fluid head base and then ran a bolt up through. I don't remember the bolt head hitting anything though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]