Help with black spots on videos

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by pitzer25, Jun 6, 2016.

1. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first yr videoing and i took my camera with me this weekend while i was setting trail cameras. i reviewed the footage and i keep noticing thes black spots appearing in the corners everytime the camera moves. Any ideas what could be doing this? Could it be the lens hood? I am using a canon hf g10. Here is the link to the video i uploaded on youtube. ranger ride - YouTube i would appreciate any help.

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like the edge of the lens relative to the sensor. Whatever it is ... it is not right. Is that camera new? If so, use the warranty and get it fixed. It almost acts as though a mirror inside the camera is moving when the camera is moved. Has the camera been dropped? I'd get that thing back to Canon for repairs.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^This^^^ My buddy had a G10 and thats not normal.

4. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The camera is not new i bought it off of ebay used. I will have to get it looked at. thanks for the help

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd argue that it definitely is not "normal" with an HF G10. I've seen a lot of footage shot with these and this isn't the norm.

I would bet that the previous owner dropped the camera. Either way, I'd get my money back or send it off to Canon for repairs (it won't be cheap).

6. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I think I accidentally found the problem but I don't know how to fix it. So I took the lens hood off and it went away. My camera has a uv filter on it then the lens hood. It looks like I can only use 1 or the other. So what would you guys recommend a uv filter with no lens hood, or a lens hood with no uv filter? It doesn't appear that I can use both

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run an XA20 which was developed based on the HF G10 form factor. I run a UV filter and the lens hood and do not have those issues.

8. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't believe that you don't have the same issues. I think you should send me your camera so I can verify that you don't have these issues lol. I mean after all this is the Internet and you could be lying to me lol. Send me your camera and I can clear you name!

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a G20 and also ran a filter and lense hood. Maybe the hood is not connected correctly or is the wrong one?