Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working on developing a logo. I have never done any type of graphics design before, so I have just been trying to feel my way around Adobe Illustrator. Lots of trial and error and watching Youtube videos. I think I finally have it nailed down pretty well and I'm just looking for some outside opinions. Let me know what you think.

I guess I should at least introduce the brand to you. Wide Angle Whitetail is not unlike the thousands of other social media hunting pages out there. In many ways its the same. I will be posting hunting videos and all the things that go along with that. What I hope will set it apart is the focus on filming and photography. Covering tips and techniques of how to become a better videographer and photographer. Obviously videoing your hunts has become almost the norm these days, there's almost as many people that carry a camera into the woods as there are just purely hunters. I'm hoping to be able to provide good information and good content that will help other hunting videographers in their quest to produce that awesome footage they are hoping for.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the logos and if you like what you see, check out Wide Angle Whitetail on Facebook and give it a like. I have a link in my signature.

WAW-Logo-Complex-logo.jpg
    WAW-Logo-Completed--With-Text.jpg
    WAW-Logo-Completed--With-Text-Solid-Black.jpg
    WAW-Logo-Completed-Outline.jpg

2. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The top logo looks very sharp in my opinion! Good work.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the top one too!

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    #1 is #1...no doubt about it, very nice.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good start, especially being new to the program. Having taught the program for 8 years and using it for 11, I know it can have a relatively steep learning curve at times.

Some suggestions.

Drop the raster/pixel based image. If this is a logo you plan to scale and use for multiple purposes down the line, a pure vector image will be more flexible in not only scaling, but also ease of printing and use as watermarks, overlays, avatars, etc., Basically once you introduce a pixel based graphic into the mix, you are now at the mercy of the pixels and the native resolution of the photo. Not to mention from a pure design standpoint, I think it's a bit crowded with it included.

I prefer one of your versions of the logo without the picture and without the circle. I would also suggest moving the name to underneath the lettering and increasing the tracking (did you learn about that?) to spread the word out to align with the edges of the bases of the "W's."

I'm also a fan of fonts that render well at small and large sizes, and I think a thicker and more straight edged/sans-serif font might work better in this case.

Again, great job, and I'm impressed especially if this is pretty new to you. Most of my students are producing work like this when they're learning.

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the insight. I agree with what you are saying about the picture. My thought process on that one is to be used purely in my title for my videos that I am editing in Premier Pro. I wouldn't use it for a watermark or even a normal logo situation. . I'm working on a more transparent one for a watermark. Haven't nailed it down just yet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only question i have is...is that you in the background of #1? If not I think it should be...if so it's cool.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, no not me. I'm hoping to replace it with a shot of me. Just gotta get photographer, a lake and a sunny day :)

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, ok. Well I think it would be more personal if it were you...just my .02

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Top logo looks very nice. Nice work!