Turkey and deer

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Smitty0220, May 2, 2016.

1. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I'm out turkey hunting here in RI. Put the blind out the night before. In the morning, I hear some birds, but none showed up. About 7 am 4 deer arrive at the blind. They are certainly curious about this big thing that magically appeared over night and watch it carefully. They also are watching the decoys.

The part I do not understand is that I took absolutely NO scent precautions, blind had a bit of a mildew odor and the wind was from me to the deer. They spent over an hour eating and stomping, but remained within 20 yards of the blind. The oldest doe blew and ran off 1 time, but she came right back.

So - does anyone have any idea what was going on? Had this been October time frame, those deer would have been long gone at the first sighting of the blind....

Any insight into this situation would be helpful.

Smitty

2. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The deer definitely know when its deer season. Ive seen deer that eat in front yards when people are around stop that routine the day season starts and never see them back until season is over. Personally I think the tags are scented with anti attractant for that species. At least the tags from Colorado lol

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lmfao great theory

4. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had 3 watch me mow grass Saturday. 30 yards away...heads would come up when mower was moving towards them...back down once I made the turn....9 laps before they moved on.....