New to the idea of turkey hunting pointers.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Beetle Bailey, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm located in NE Ohio. I've never hunted turkey (most everything else in Ohio but not turkey) I'd like to get into it. I have a blind and 2 decoys and have been driving my family crazy with my mouth calls since Christmas. I have ideas where I may hunt mostly public, but I didn't know if certain locations are better than others. I have been all over google and YouTube for any info.
    Just wondering if anyone is willing to give me some better info based on my location.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well get your self a good locator call and tlgo our the night before you plan on hunting. Use that locator call to located roosted turkeys this way you will have an idea where to set up. I usually use the locate and stalk hunting to find them get closer to them set up just out of sight of them and call them in. I use a owl hoot early in in the morning or at dusk the night before to locate them, then then a crow call during the day as a locator call.

Your friendly neighborhood Bow Hunter

3. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with the blind is that you are tied to one spot....I prefer to"run and gun", trying multiple spots until you find one that wants to play.....Don't discount that method.
    Good luck !

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For two weeks before season you need to put in the time. By that I mean treat it just like season. Be in your target woods 30 mins before dawn listening to find out if you have birds.
    DO NOT CALL BEFORE SEASON
    No point in educating them. If you have then and a target spot then you can use a blind.
    Just my humble opinion

5. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Play hard to get...with your calling! Rememberyou are attempting to reverse the natural order of things by making a gobbler come to a hen instead of vice versa. Hold a little something back and make him work for it, don't give it away to him in the first half hour

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums