First year

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by hulktincher, Jul 11, 2016.

1. hulktincher

hulktincher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went for the first time ever this year and didn't get a turkey...was a little disappointed but not out of the game. Would like any input and advance on how to use calls and anything you can think of

2. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always tell myself that's why it's called hunting and not killin! Good luck!

3. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Calls are great, get some good ones. Walmart doesn't sell em n neither does primos. Get a couple customs n you'll be way ahead of game sound wise. Now none of this matters if the birds aren't there. You need to find them before. If you're hunting a small piece don't place all you're eggs there. Drive around a month or so before season n listen for them. Without going in the woods or at least not near them.
    Find as many as possible n mentally log locations you'll need em.

The night before in the almost dark, timing is critical, make sure you aren't seen n roost one. I use fly ups, some guys use owl hoots, etc. Don't like coyote sounds by me they may gobble at em but they eat turks n may make em suspicious when morning comes and they need to fly down. Call it what you like, Id prefer being careful.

Morning comes n you can get close enough to see them if you like. Remember you roosted them n know where they are. A few morning tree yelps, lightly on a trough call or purr pot is good n not if you can see them, a flydown w wing or hat n maybe a cackle occassionslly works too.

If you have/use dekes you can set them up in range n in sight of birds n do nothing but maybe a real light yelp or two.
    Either method may have birds pitch right down to you. Called a roost n shoot n you'll be at coffee shop before the dew burns off.

Say that doesn't work or birds fly the wrong way. Give em a few n set up the right way. Don't push em n now you're preseason locating is key. You know where other birds are so go run n gun em. Some birds on some days are easier than others. We call them birds that wanna die today.

Back to calling, any call can work sometimes, no calls work all the time. But consider it fishing. Try a few dif calls on the same day n see which one strikes a birds fancy.
    Learn some dif calls than guys use in your area for different sounding set ups. Scratch boxes, trough calls, trumpets, wingbones or cane calls aren't used by everyone. Get different surfaces if you run pots, aluminum is one to always have. Schafer from Oak Ridge makes a few cant be beat. But the more calls, surfaces, reed type on mouth calls , combos on the boxes the better.
    Get an edge n learn. If you're mouth calling is rough, you have a year to practice.

While straight yelps on any call can call most birds sometimes if that's all you can do you're gonna leave some birds in the woods that you coulda took for a ride in the truck.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happens sometimes!
    Get back it next year and it will mean that much more..

5. Infopatriot447

Infopatriot447 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This fall will be the first time I turkey hunt. Just keep at it my friend

6. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How does fall turkey hunting differ from spring turkey hunting? I'm assuming they're not breeding in the fall, so what calls should I use then?

7. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They not so vocal then, and all flocked up. If u find one prob 20 u don't see. Most times just call and try to get the hens to come to u , usually be more !