thunder chickens gear???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JeffP, Feb 17, 2017.

1. JeffP

JeffP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to hear some sets ups. Type of blinds/calls/broadhead etc etc..... Is it worth using actually 'turkey broad heads ' or just go with personal preference? Why do you prefer certain calls. This will be my first year really giving a big push for the turkeys!!!!! Especially with the bow!!!!

BowHunt or die !!!!!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my first year. I have a Rhino XP-1 groundblind in Predator Camo that I like a lot. Millenium G100 Groundblind chair. I used Rage Hypodermics last year, but I will be using NAP Spitfire DoubleCross. I have slate call, box call and a Quaker Boy diaphragm. The Slate call works best for me when the turkeys are in sight. Still learning how to use the diaphragm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. JeffP

JeffP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I have trouble with diaphragms as well. I def need a chair!!!!

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used blinds and tree stands. Use a hen mouth call and have used decoys as well. I've used fixed blade bh's and mechanicals in the past and been successful but this year I'm gonna try just taking the head clean off with some Magnus bh's. Should be good video and an try to eliminate a track job if the shot isn't perfect.

5. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a black 5 gal pail wrapped in camo material as a seat for my deer ground blinds. Not sure if I will use a blind for turkey this year or not. As this is my first year and with a crossbow I may have to move to much to go with a blind. Maybe a piece of camo netting?

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't beat a slate call for low chirps and purrs and you don't have to worry about sounding like a choking hen like when first using a diaphragm call lol. I use a Barronett Big Mike blind with a Gander Mnt 360° swivel chair for bow hunting. Used the Magnus Bullhead last year attempting a decapitation shot and had a horrible experience, so I am just using a Rage 2-blade this year to pin the wing. One thing I want to do better this year is brushing in my blind, Toms will pick you out a mile away if you're not camouflaged well.

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have read a lot about brushing in blinds, etc. Most of the video I have watched are hunters wearing good full camo clothing, leaning back against a big tree with no brushing in, blind, etc. they shoot their birds too. So, just how important is it to "brush in" yourself or a blind ? ?

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't brush in my blind when I am turkey hunting. I think very few people do. Turkey don't pay it any attention. Check out Season 7 Episode 2 here on BowHunt or Die and watch Clinton's hunt and others. Their blinds are out in the open. Wear black or dark colors in the blind to conceal you and your movement. Camo is for trees, not groundblinds. You definitely should brush your blind in when deer hunting.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Sam, no need to brush in a blind for turkeys. We set blinds up in the middle of a grass field (maybe 6" tall) with nothing else around and the birds never even look at us. As for the blind itself, it truly doesn't matter what blind it is, assuming the windows behind you are closed and it isn't flapping in the wind.

Personally, I do the majority of my calling with a diaphragm or a friction call. Rarely use the box mainly because the other two work and it's just something else to carry around. I don't do a lot of yelping or cutting unless it has a distinct purpose. Soft putt/chirps and purrs most of the time. The best way to learn to use a mouth call is to put one in your vehicle and use it everyday to and from work when there is nobody to annoy. You'll figure it out.

Broadheads, as with any species, don't truly matter as long as you put it where it needs to go. I would recommend a mechanical for all the same reasons with any animal but you shouldn't have to worry about penetration, so the main advantage to a fixed head is worthless.

The biggest thing I can think of for bowhunting, is set up in a place you know the birds are using day-in and day-out. If they aren't there, they will be at some point, wait them out. It might not be the first day, or the second but they'll be back for sure.