What turkey calls are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by HunterMik, Apr 11, 2016.

1. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few (primos I think) mouth calls, two boxes and a slate call that I've been using for the last couple seasons. My mouth calls have about had it and I need to get a new one before my season this weekend. Anyone recommend a certain brand? I'm pretty decent with mouth calls but I've only used the same primos ones I believe and haven't tried any others.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Stewart_McCall

Stewart_McCall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cody Turkey Calls makes some great sounding calls, but I use a YAK game calls slate, but I can't find them anywhere anymore.

3. Techn9cian 02

Techn9cian 02 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Woodhaven mouth calls sound best to me specifically the copperhead 2 it can go high or low with ease and sounds so real it's crazy

4. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Woodhaven and Gooserbat mouth calls. Mike Yingling pots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Woodhaven. I love the Copperhead, and both Red/Black Wasp. Copperhead is my favorite though.

6. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im tell ya a little secret, go to Bass Pro and look for this call.....Talkin' Stick Game Calls, Inc. I"ve got the slate, best sounding slate I've ever used...and I have a Cody, and Woodhaven, smokes them both in my opinion....
    Oh, and your thinking show some proof....No Problem...this opening weekend in Virginia....Our first Triple....and the Talking Stick Produced....
    FB_IMG_1460216918331.jpg

7. midamericairon

midamericairon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Bald's Calls Little Sweetie 2 tube call that I wouldn't go in the woods without. Not the cheapest, but handmade and the best sounding reed call I've ever heard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here turkey turkey turkey.......

9. bowcrazy30

bowcrazy30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the lil heartbreaker box call from Primos as well as there mouth calls. I also use Zink and flextone mouth calls that work very well

10. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Hooks mouth calls and have a homemade pot call slate and glass.

11. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Hook's calls. I love my glass call from Hook's and I have used their mouth calls as well.

12. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my best luck with the basic old raspy hen by hunter specialties. The last turkey I got though I used just my mouth and no calls. I can do pretty decent yelps, clucks, perrs, and gobbles with just my mouth.

13. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Toxic orange from these guys. It has a ghost cut and i can make just about any call with it from high to low.. I have scouted gobblers with this call already and every time i have been out i have gotten them to talk... Time to put it to the test This coming Saturday as it is opening day on the 30th in PA.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  15. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Copperhead has accounted for all 5 birds I've seen go down. I will check into that Toxic. A buddy of mine had a Stinger today. He's just learning, but I tried it out and it has a great sound. DO NOT BUY THE PRIMOS LONG HOOKS call. I love a raspy call, but that call sounds like a blood hound, no matter what you do..... Had a great hunt with him this morning.. We parked at a spot about 7:30 after a zero daylight setup. Opened the door to a gobble. We went down to the head of a draw. I hit the copperhead, and immediate gobble about 125 yards down the draw. We setup, him in front, me about 10' behind. I hit the copperhead again, and bird has closed the distance. I told him to get his gun on his knee and get ready. Bird comes into view. Spits and drums, then comes over bank and waltzes in fully fanned at 20 yards. Todd gets on him, CLICK! Misfire with a SBE2. I'm like WTH? Bird is 20 yards away, fully fanned out looking dead at him. He fiddles with the gun a little, then tries again, nothing. Repeat... He turns to me and says, "Shoot that $%#$@!". I said, "I can't, I'd shoot right by your head." He turns back, and I said, "Shuck another shell". He said "Really?" I said, "What have you got to lose?" All this time, nothing between us and that bird was 20 yards of air. He shucks and shoots. LOL. That bird committed suicide. From sit down to shot was 7 minutes. Sadly, only one bird gobbled, but 3 long beards came in.... never quit learning lessons.... Could have doubled. His bird had 11" beard, and 1" spurs. 22 lbs and change. Nice 2 year old, and his third turkey. Great morning.

16. soundandfury

soundandfury Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of Cane Creek Calls, especially the Lost Poult call. I've also got a few Woodhaven calls and honestly I think the Cane Creek ones are the same level of quality. I also have a killer cow elk call from Cane Creek.

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up some Pecker Wrecker mouth calls for this year... I generally only use mouth calls, but sometimes use slate / glass as well.

18. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a name for a mouth call. Hahahahahahahahaha.