turkey in the rain

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Mitchellhunt99, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think about turkey hunting in the rain? Does it affect the time they fly down from their roost? Do they stay in the woods longer? Opening day for me looks like its going to be wet! Thanks for the help!

2. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They usually stay in the trees longer on rainy days. They are often more quiet in the rain. On rainy days they typically like to be out in fields. Notice I didn't say anything was a definite. You never know what turkeys are going to do.

3. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted from a blind on many rainy days... by simply purring I have brought in many hens. I got this Tom sitting through torrential rain. He and his hen stayed out, and I caught them ...after the rain let up...on the way back to the roost.

Attached Files:

4. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best tactic I use for hunting turkeys in the rain is to find out where they are going to be by using preseason scouting. When you find out where they are going to be set up by the trail entering the field and use soft calls. The birds aren't going to talk much but they already have their mind set on going to that area so you'll have yourself in the best spot possible. This is just my tactic, like deer hunting nothing is set in stone. Good luck!