Iffy situation.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by CJCullen, Mar 29, 2015.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year I gained permission to two adjacent pieces of property one 60 acres the other 35 and I'm currently working the neighbors which is another 70. Anyway, So far these birds are pretty patternable as they roost across the road (cant hunt) then at about 10am they cross the road into the field/prairie grass (can hunt) and feed/strut all afternoon. My problem is the only place I have permission to park on this farm is right where they cross, literally they walk in on the tractor path. I still have no idea what I'm going to do about this yet. They roost no more then 150 yards off the road. So you can see my dilemma here, just wondering if you guys have any opinions on what I could do. I've thought about asking other neighbors if I could just park on a field of there's and walk over. My biggest worries is them seeing me pull up in the morning (I don't get off work until 6am, can make it to the farm by 6:10) and hearing me get ready, and getting busted when they cross the road and see the truck, which I've had happen enough times. I'm sure I will devise some evil plan before to long but was just hoping for some friendly input. Thanks in advance.

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    can you park out on the public road then walk from there. if you don't want to walk take a bicycle. we have to hunt our birds off a bicycle or we are walking 2 mi +. or you can enter possibly through the backside of the piece that you have permission. won't take you long to crossover cross country. depends how bad you want it!!!!

3. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh there's no doubt I'll kill one of them. Can't access it from any other side.

4. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Careful, loose lips sink ships, I swear those turkey have internet access too!
    Hiding your truck at a farm is a GOOD IDEA.
    Do you have an vacation to take off an hour early and use the cover of darkness?

Good luck,
    MOBU

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    belly crawl if you have to!!! lol maybe find where they will be a little later and set up there?

7. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting dropped off would be a good idea but good luck finding someone awake and willing at 6 a.m. lol. Maybe a coworker gettting off same shift? That or take an ultralight and brush it in upon landing.

8. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that turkeys have extremely short memories. Someone told me that if you shoot and miss stay put and try calling again cause they may come back after a bit. If they hear you at 6 and don't cross till 10 they prob have forgotten by than. Maybe get dropped off at 8:30 when someones going to work and that still may be enough time for them to forget. If they see your truck maybe they will keep a distance (their used to vehicles by being near the road so often) but walk around it and still come into their usual area where you will be waiting. It all depends on how cautious your birds are where you hunt and the lay of the land your hunting. I'm used to shooting almost suburban type birds so you might be laughing at my recommendations.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best I could suggest is to have your spouse or a good friend drop you off/pick you up after.

10. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    yea it might work if you could use the truck to create a funnel.

11. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    parachuting in or teleporting are two more options I would strongly consider

12. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sooooo after a little asking around a local farmer said I could park at his farm and walk down to my spot he also said I could hunt his 20 acres behind his barn. Real thick oak hillside, where he says he hears them gobbling every morning back and forth with his geese. Couldn't be happier with this development :) I will head there tomorrow morning to listen after work and then wait an hour or two and slip back and hang a camera or two.

13. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    CONGRATS!!!!!! keep an eye out for sheds. is he going to let you deer hunt also?

14. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see that you got it all worked out! Let me know when your hunting and I can cruise over and film for you if you would like since I wasn't able to get any tags for this season in IL. Gonna suck not getting to hunt but I'll film if I can.