Turkey hunting in the rain

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by RugerRedbone, Mar 19, 2015.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just starting to get into this turkey hunting stuff and have a lot to learn. It seems to me from all I've read it makes deer hunting look like a walk in the park.

That being said what do you do differant when hunting in a light rain? Do they change their normal routine in any way? More/less vocal?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've called in and killed a LOT of birds in the rain. The can't use their ears as much and head to fields so they can capitalize on their eyes. When it's raining I'm doing VERY little calling and have a decoy spread setup in a remote open place close to roosting. I tend to sit more and run/gun less when its raining.

3. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I guess food plots would be a good spot for a rainy day then. Looks like the first day of my Bama trip is gonna be a light rain.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my best turkey hunts have been on rainy days!! The hardest part is keeping your calls dry! I have a wet willy box call that does a pretty good job on rainy days when all else fails!

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep....rainy days are some of the best. I have killed 2 birds in the same clover field in the rain. Both times I never called once. They saw my decoys and made a beeline to them from across the field.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's something soothing about sitting in a blind with a bow by your side with a gentle rain pelting the top of the canvas above your head too as you wait for some birds to come by... :)

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a lot of turkeys moving in the rain.

8. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt it seems like a lot of the hens will lag back at the roost on rainy days and the Toms aren't as held up because of it makes them easier to call in as long as it's just light rain or mist without strong wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed a few birds in the rain the past few years. What I did was I setup my decoys(1 Hen and 2 Jakes) sat in my blind for a few hours without calling and doing nothing.IMO calling in the rain is senseless, since from what I've experienced they will not hear you and you will not hear them. So if you get lucky the Turkeys will see your decoys and then check em out, if they don't spot your decoys you will most likely not see a turkey.

10. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like mentioned many times above, some of my best hunts have come during a light rain. I like to set my double bull in a field wide open with a good decoy spread so the birds can see no matter where the enter the field. Once I'm set up try to get dry and hopefully camera is still dry and then sit quiet and wait.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what they all said. plus I'm going to add that if you aren't near a field old log roads or access roads work well too. I like hunting near gravel roads as turkeys head there to gather grit to help digest their food. also I think they like those roads because it get them out of the deep wet grass where it is somewhat drier. they are kind of like deer in my area. when it is crappy weather they won't move a lot. I've seen a flock stay just out of my shooting range for hours without moving. and as soon as the sun popped out or the rain stopped they moved immediately. just like deer if they can't utilize all their senses they will be more timid until they can use all of them.

12. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The birds that my dad and I have killed (all three in the same spot) have had their crops full of clover and seeds. This just helps confirm that a field with feed in it is a good place to be.

13. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have sat and purred in my blind the rain and brought in several hens... never know what they may bring with them... watched them preen for 30-40 minutes and more. Hunting in the rain can be a great time!

14. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like hunting turkeys in a light rain!!! Heavy downpours are miserable tho

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

15. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, how about evening thunderstorms? Will they roost early if a thunderstorm moves in before dark?