How to practice with (Magnus,Guillotine,Tom Bomb)

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by No.6Hunter, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are some different ways you guys are practicing with your decapitation turkey broadheads? I just picked up the Tom Bombs and I have shot the Magnus Bullheads before but, the magnus is a lot smaller than the Tom Bomb and Guillotine.

2. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I heard of people using a couch cusion or something like that

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    24 pack beer box (empty :) ) stuffed with newspaper. Alternately you can hang a blanket or something from a cloths line. Pillow works as well. Best to hang it if you can.

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Guys

5. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What he forgot to mention was not to empty it right before you try shooting. The box is pointless when you cant hit it

6. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use paper towel cardboard rolls and an old giant pillow as my backdrop. I aim for the paper towel rolls and pretend those are the neck of the turkey. It's worked out pretty well so far.

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    125 gr. Tom Bomb is 3 1/2" cut diameter. The curved blades are delicate and if one bends at all then it turns into a flying corkscrew down range.
    125 gr. Magnus Bullhead is 3 3/4" cut diameter. Lifetime, no questions asked, guarantee ... bend or break a blade or ferrel and they replace it for free. Made 100% in the USA.
    125 gr. Guillotine is 4" cut diameter. Comes in many parts and pieces ... some assembly (and straws) required.

Take a cheap poly fill pillow and hang it so that it can swing freely. See the following videos. Part 2 (near the end) shows the pillow set up and talks in detail.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I shoot the 2 3/4" Magnus heads to stay at 100 gr.

I will have to compare the heads I own when I start practicing, the magnus heads seemed relatively loud too me, we shall see how the Tom Bomb compares.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any head chopper is going to be loud. The giant wings out front disturb a ton of air and create noise. However, a turkey is not going to notice the noise and duck an arrow like a deer would. I've killed a whole bunch of birds with Bullheads and noise is never and issue. The Bullheads are a proven product.

I have tested the Tom Bomb and have a video showing my initial thoughts on the product. I'm not bashing the product, just giving you my first hand test results. For me it flew fine at 10 yards. At 20 it was all over the place and at 30 ... good luck. No consistent off course flight, more of a shot gun pattern of impact points. That is tough if not impossible to tune out. The flight is very blade dependent also. Given the curve profile of the blades, there is little structural rigidity inherent to the design. When a single blade gets swept back just the slightest bit relative to the others (and it will during practice) then you get corkscrewing going on in flight and your groups will get worse.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DEC have you tried a large diameter full length arrow in your crossbow with a 125 Gr head?

I tried the 100's in my CB last year. The short 20" bolt w/ a magnus in combination with the CB design doesn't provide enough clearance. So, should I buy a 22" bolt or go with a full length arrow and cut it down 2" at a time to see what works best?

Would a longer bolt /arrow help flight? Specifically for CBs that are exceeding 340 FPS.

Thanks!

Jason

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can use a longer bolt. Magnus recommends the Goldtip Laser IV 22" bolt. It is longer and spined properly. I have shot them and they shoot nice.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the bolt commendation. Gold Tip has never failed me. :p I will buy a few and try it.

13. aeasley10

aeasley10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No question a synthetic filled pillow is the only way to practice! As stated hanging freely, just draw a dot or circle and let em fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.