By the way,...shoot a Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by G-Dog, Nov 28, 2014.

1. G-Dog

G-Dog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting deer and I was told to get a turkey license because "If I happen to see a Turkey I could shoot one."

Ok. The tag is about $5. I don't mind paying the tag. Now that I have one, If I'm hunting deer what are the chances a Turkey will happen to stroll by? If he does can I hit him with a broadhead? With a shotgun I aim for the head. Do I aim for the head with an arrow or do I need a "Turkey Broadhead"? I'm confused. Help!

I've been practicing my calling with a mouth reed. I'm actually pretty good but don't know when to use it, if at all. Thoughts? Can I get some advice on this one?

(ok to call if you don't wnat to type it)

GB
    Cell - 763 250 4545

2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Turkey section slows down a lot when deer season opens, responses are much much slower.
    They will stumble upon you during deer season. Only down fall is that in your stand you are pretty exposed, so they may see your movement easier, busting you before you even have the thought. Obviously a blind will mask your movement. I use Muzzy MX-3 for deer and turkey. Shot placement is extremely crucial on the turkey. I shoot for the body because of the heads I use. If in doubt I wouldn't shoot, if you feel you can do it, than by all means have fun.
    As far as calling, I would leave it at home. They are pretty quiet this time of year. Here is some good explanations of the calls.
    Turkey Calling Tips, Live Turkey Calls: National Wild Turkey Federation

3. G-Dog

G-Dog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Very helpful

4. drycreek

drycreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed about as many turkeys while deer hunting as I have turkey hunting. No choice but to use your same broadheads unless you are blind hunting. Hit them straight up the leg in the top third of their body on a broadside shot. If you're ground level, a frontal is deadly right where the beard grows out of the breast. From the back, right up the old spout, but this can get a little messy ! Good luck !

5. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With a bow I've always shot at just about the base of the wing if it's broadside... if it's straight on, like Drycreek said, poke him where the beard dangles and if he's facing away with his head down or he's fanned up, put it right up the old spout.

6. Bowhunter_vargas

Bowhunter_vargas Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Turkeys pretty much shut up in the fall. I dont think calling will do you much good but if you have corn piles I would watch those. I have had groups of about 40 turkeys come in while I was deer hunting this year in kansas.