Fall turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Turkeysniper511, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty new to turkey hunting and need help. My wife's uncle said fall is a lot harder and different then spring. So I'm wondering what I should do. The woods I hunt don't have turkey so I'm going to scout out some public land next week. So I'm gonna look for a good trail and lots of tracks and set up around there. Then what do I do just wait? Wife's uncle told me not to really call in fall that you just need to know their pattern and where there goin and wait. So any tips on what I need to do to get a tom come my way or anything I don't know.

2. Rtkman

Rtkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Find a roost. They usually roost near water. Get as close as you can and watch where they fly down / go in the am. Then adjust your location based on that. Good luck!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find a flock, get as close as you can then run into them to break them up ....scatter them.

Then wait about 45min or so at that location and start calling them back in. They will regroup.
    If it was a flock of toms wait longer before calling they tend to take a while longer before they start getting back together.

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go early in the morning where you believe there could be turkey and listen for fly-downs. Then base your setting up on that, be careful... Their eyes are good.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fall is a bit harder. Turkey where I'm at roost in different trees in fall rather than spring. Spring is mating season for turkey so calling is different and easier. Like RTKman said find a roost and see where they fly down. That's your best bet in the fall.